Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350, 2005 AMG E55, 1998 E320, 1993 300CE CV Wide Body Twin Turbo
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need help again.

I bought a steering wheel on eBay from a large seller. Steering wheel came from overseas and looked pretty good. It's a standard black leather wheel with wood on top and bottom.

I finally tried to install the wheel yesterday and had to return to the stock wheel. When I took the original wheel off and disassembled the horn mechanism, I took 4 center nuts/bolt off, then I took 5 spacer bolts off that held the horn under tight spring. Then When I placed the horn mechanism into new wheel, I found that the 4 center bolts lined up perfectly but the
5 spacer bolts did not reach the place, the way they were on the original wheel. It seemed that new wheel was not deep enough. Then I tried to put the wheel onto the center rod coming from the steering column and found that the back of your wheel is too long and it did not allow for the wheel to sit all the way in, even after that, I tried to put the main center bolt in to secure the wheel, thinking that it may hold the wheel in place, but after I tightened the bolt the wheel was loose and was loosely moving around. Also I noticed that the overall diameter of your wheel is larger then my original (a little, but noticeable).

My question is did I do something wrong during installation, or Is there an adapter I should've used, or Is it plain and simple wrong wheel?

Is it difficult/possible to install a wheel with buttons for radio? and if the stereo is not a MB stock stereo is there a way to make it work with aftermarket stereos?

Your help is always appriciated.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Babushka steering wheels are such a grey area in MB's specially if you want to add steering controls. My best advice would be either fit a 1999+ steering & stereo setup or not to go any further than a wood/leather combo.

If you take a look at my E280 gallery you'll see the one I installed on my 1998 W210. It's by a company called Victor, who use original MB frames.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts