Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's key fob batteries were replaced. I figured that was the reason my car wouldn't start. I had just filled up the tank. So I replaced them and still nothing. The key fob won't turn in the ignition. I can't even move the car out of park. I have read somewhere that this might help. The steering wheel is also locked up. As is the gas tank. I've tried pressing the brake to shift out of park but that didn't help. I watched a video on the EIS needing to be checked. The temp here just dropped a little. Maybe it's my battery? Or could my key fob have set off my anti theft system? The mileage on my car is a little under 168,000. Does anyone have any information or had a similar problem?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
8,287 Posts
Most likely the circuit board on the key itself is damaged when you changed the battery. There is a connection in front of the circuit board that's extremely sensitive. The infrared sensor solder could've cracked, or the little coil breaking off.

If you have a spare key, try it. Otherwise, your other option is to tow the car yo the dealer to make a new key.

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
A CAN bus car requires a minimum voltage for the ECU to send a 'start' signal. Have a load test performed on your battery.

If you have been experiencing other battery issues like loss of windows/sunroof sync and the battery is over 4 years old or is an economy battery it's probably cheaper and quicker to just replace the battery.

FYI - Mercedes Roadside Assistance ( 1-800-FOR MERCedes ) will come to your work or home, replace the battery with a premium replacement, reset your accessories and dispose of old battery for a single charge. Also you will have 18 mos. of Roadside Assistance should you need it.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
Fob batteries are not needed for ignition work.
Are the interior lights coming with full power when you open the door?
Check the car voltage at jumping peg under the hood.
If the car battery is good, then Deplore explained other possibilities.

·
Registered
1998 E320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the interior lights came on but the key in the ignition still would not turn over. I placed a call to Mercedes Benz dealer and they will tow the car there. I was sincerely hoping for an easier solution. And I don't have an extra key. I sure wish I did. Thank you all for your insight. Much appreciated.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,450 Posts
i think you need to be consistent and precise with your description. initially, you
said that the key will not turn in the ignition. upon follow up you imply it turns
but the ignition will not turn over.

are you trying to say that once the Smartkey is inserted into the ignition you
are unable to manipulate the switch clockwise at all? or, that you can, but the
starter cranks but the engine will not start?

did you check the voltage of the car battery as suggested by Richard98? noting
that the interior lights come on isn't that relevant for the purpose of starting
your car so ignore that for now.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
4,047 Posts
It'll be your ESL...electronic steering lock.

Not the batteries in the key (because the car can start without those batteries in the key), nor the battery under the back seat.

Probably best to stop buying things which will not affect the outcome...but rather find out the problem and pay for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.