Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 e320 4matic wagon with 200,000 miles on it. I had been hearing some noises from the drivetrain over the last few months and i figured it was a cv shaft going because the boot was ripped. i installed a new cv shaft today and the noise is still present and now the car wont move. when i put it in gear it just grinds. i believe the noise is coming from the tranfer case. How do i check the fluid level in the case? What is the recomended fluid for it? Thanks in advance for any information i love this car and i need it on the road.

thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
How do i check the fluid level in the case? What is the recomended fluid for it? Thanks in advance for any information i love this car and i need it on the road.

thanks
Stephen
The W210 transfer case uses automatic transmission fluid.

The transfer case has a filler plug but no drain plug. To check the fluid level, you add fluid until it runs out of the filler plug (car on level surface).

The location of the filler plug is elusive but we found it. See the following thread.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1316006-4-matic-transfer-case-question-2.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts