Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 w210 with 170,000 miles. It has had many issues and now a new one has come up. I have had a slip or failure to shift between 2nd and 3rd gear for several months now. Just tonight as I was taking off from a light it would not shift, it stayed in neutral even when letting up on the brake and pushing the gas. After I shut down the car and restarted it, it began to shift normally again and was fine the rest of the day. I am fearful of what this may be. I recently changed the filter and fluid and the levels are fine. Would appreciate any guidance on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmmmm it seems like an electronic issue. my E 320 had similar issues and i had to redo the transmission although i am still convinced the mechanic failed to identify the real problem and just decided to make 3000 $ of me!

have u ever had trouble with the MAF sensor ???? if so had the car become sluggish??? or how did u detect that its the MAF????

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
We have about 1857 topics about those transmissions already.
Start with the classic plug adapter replacement, washing the plug very well and checking the computer board for flooding with ATF.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tranny

Rocket I changed the MAF when I first got it, it is not throwing that code any longer.
kajtek that is part of the problem. there are so many topics i have not been able to find much like this though. I did speak with a friend with the same car and he has had similar experience. He thinks it is the transmission computer which he said is located outside of the tranny and can at times not communicate well.
I will look at the stuff you recommend though, that give me somewhere to start.
I also have the 2nd 3rd shift slip and changed out the spring to try and fix it but with no luck. not sure if there is a way they could be related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts