Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E300 TD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 E300 Turbo Diesel with 250K. Still a beautiful car. Three years ago I had the problem of air getting in the fuel line when parked nose uphill. That time I just replaced the fuel shut off valve o-rings and it fixed the problem for about a year. Two years ago, it did it again and I had the fuel lines replaced along with the fuel shut off valve. Now it is doing it again. I thought I would try just changing the o-rings since they are inexpensive. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, should I use some clean oil to lubricate the o-rings before I put them on?

Thanks very much,
Gene

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I have a 1998 E300 Turbo Diesel with 250K. Still a beautiful car. Three years ago I had the problem of air getting in the fuel line when parked nose uphill. That time I just replaced the fuel shut off valve o-rings and it fixed the problem for about a year. Two years ago, it did it again and I had the fuel lines replaced along with the fuel shut off valve. Now it is doing it again. I thought I would try just changing the o-rings since they are inexpensive. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, should I use some clean oil to lubricate the o-rings before I put them on?

Thanks very much,
Gene
Do you mean all of the o rings or just the SOV o ring???? In any event after shut down, if an o ring goes bad, you typically have a momentary leak. If that is the case I would fix the leak.

There is also a very simple low pressure fuel system test that you can do to quickly determine where the leak is located.

The only lubrication that I would recommend is the diesel fuel and nothing else.

Good luck

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
I did fuel lines replacement on 2 cars and than had to do SOV oring. With the experience and new, flexible lanes it was like 90 seconds job. Definitely shorter than making forum topic. ;)
I wash the whole area with water day before and don't have the bolt holding washer fluid tank.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Hi Gene,
you might want to have a look at the tank strainer, it might be clogged, probably is clogged actually with those mileage.
The lift pump will suck all it can but if the strainer is clogged you'll get bubbled from any teeny cracks possible.
I just had a bubble bother right after the filter and it seems that it was the line going into the pre-filter that was hold by the little flat metal thingy that was not holding it properly. I just had 2 metal washers to thick it a bit more and it seems to have helped, but now I sometimes got some bubbles coming from the further away and I suspect the rubber line from the tank to the hard pipe to be rotten. This is the only one I never changed. This is a wee tedious to replace tho. If you do the tank strainer get the Oring for it and the rubber pipe, better do it all in once :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts