Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above fixed by battery disconnect for 15 min.
I noted before battery job that fuses 44 and 18 in engine bay- and no. 19 under rear seat had no power.
Can some sparky boffin explain this one?
Cheers from Aust.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Nope.. Wrong year... Wrong gear.... The 1998 E300 uses SAM and DCM modules, and the 1996 uses CCM module which directly control equipment above.

Farmerpete,
What needs to be explained ? I assume from your post that the battery disconnect / connect solved your problems with the above? If not, and you are asking why those fuses do not have power, they should.... They carry always-on power. If they do not, you will not have power locks, windows.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Nope.. Wrong year... Wrong gear.... The 1998 E300 uses SAM and DCM modules, and the 1996 uses CCM module which directly control equipment above.
Thanks mrboca for clarifying. :)

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Do you have power on those fuses now? with key out of ignition ? If so, those fuses are connected to the fuse bus-bar inside the fuse panel which is directly connected to the battery. There is no relay in between the fuses and power. If you did not see any power on them, that means the fuses are blown.

If you did not change the fuses, and the functions came back after a battery disconnect, then this is not related to fuses or power on those fuses. It is more likely related to problem with signaling between the modules and the SAM module shutting those down. If this is the case, the problems will re-occur sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
You are welcome. If this happens again, let us know. There are few things that can cause this. Mostly the water seepage into the cabin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yes it has happened again, Speaking of water the little air filter next to the heater duo valve ( about the size of a ping pong ball ) got wet when I was flushing the radiator 2 weeks ago
Other that that info I am putty in your hands mrboca
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Check the passenger floor carpet for any wetness. There is a terminal block which does not like to be wet. It is a hub for all body control signalling wiring. Do you think think your heater cores are somewhat leaking ? plugged a/c drain lines ? front window left open under rain ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fitted an after market trailer lights relay set up about 9 months ago.I'll pull the fuse on it and disconnect battery for 15 min?

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
You can try that. How did you install the trailer lights ?
Where did you get the power for it ?
Have you checked your battery condition ? is it fully charged?

Do your hazard flashing lights work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Power direct from battery, thru to boot. Unit is in boot one wire to turn , stop and riding lights.Has a single relay.
Had battery for 1 year checks out at 728 cca for a 770 cca battery. ( at store I purchased at )
Hazard lights did work when windows doors etc were not.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Well, since you put the trailer attachment 9 months ago , and you are having problems with the above, it is unlikely the cause.

After you disconnect and connect the battery, and re-synch the windows, sunroof, seats etc., do everything else work ? like the central locking switch lock/unlock with remote, turn lights, wipers etc ? I believe you have a bad module which disrupts the communications between modules, and eventually the SAM module (the body control brain) takes the modules down one by one. It could be one of the door control modules, or the Lower Control Panel Module (LCP--- the module where the window control switches are). It is hard to manually diagnose, as it will require to take the modules" connections one-by-one at the hub (under the carpet) till the faulty unit is disconnected. Easier way is to use a scanner that can talk to each and every module in your car. MB SDS diagnostic equipment should be able to check the fault codes and diagnose the problem area.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
If you do not hear the motor when you press the button, it is not the regulator.. It is the door control module with the integrated motor. . Does the door light work at the passenger rear side ? Does the motor run with the ignition on and you press the rear passenger window key, instead of the mid console window key ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts