Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C240 Elegance Auto (UK)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 98 c240 (2.4 v6 UK) suddenly sounds like a very loud industrial kitchen extractor on wheels! lol

I noticed the fans at the front of the car were spinning very fast. This happens as soon as you turn the car on regardless of engine temp. They do however turn off when the ignition is switched off.

Searching on the forums, there are a few similar threads with such problems, but they have different engine sizes and their fans usually are staying on all the time, even after turn off. They usually pointed too a faulty 'coolant temp sensor', but as mentioned, mostly on c180,c220, diesels etc:crybaby2:

Would it be the same problem here too?
Any help appreciated :)

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
The most common reason for this is water in the fan control box mounted just behind the bumper passenger side. Some times its possible to dry them out and seal them better.

Another cause can be water or damp in the fuse box with 2 lids, you need to lift the SAM to see if any moisture under it, if there is you can get modified lids and seals for this but the water in the fan control box is the main one to go for

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. Will have a look later on and give you an update

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could you tell me where abouts this fan control is? I've put a pic up of the passengers side headlight area:

Also where is the fuse box are you referring to? The one on the top left which just comes of (no screws)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts