Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 A124 320 Cab - 85 C126 500 SEC - 98 S210 E50 AMG Wagon - 89 W126 300SE
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again :)

I been wondering, back in the days when the W126 was new, you could get either cloth interior, leather or velour. I've heard somewhere that velour was considered more exclusive and better, and it costed more then leather. Is this true?

Also, what is this interior code? 972

Thanks guys :) :D

·
Outstanding Contributor
600 (3.200 mm)
1,542 Posts
Hello!

I been wondering, back in the days when the W126 was new, you could get either cloth interior, leather or velour.
And MB-Tex, but not for all models (except all SEC and 500/560 SEL).

I've heard somewhere that velour was considered more exclusive and better, and it costed more then leather. Is this true?
I think, velour is more exclusive and better than leather.
But velour was cheaper than leather. And even some models (all SEC and 500/560 SEL) has have velour like a standard upholstery.

Also, what is this interior code? 972
S/SE/SEL:

SEC:

SEL with Coupe-seats:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
You can have a look at these options lists I scanned in a while ago if you like for a rough guide to what cost what. It varied by model a bit.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1579837-options-list-october-1989-uk.html

That 300SE looks in gorgeous condition, beautiful.
I had cream cloth/velour in my SE when I got it but I changed it for the leather. It was nice, but to be honest it was more sweaty in the summer than the leather, the leather seems to breathe better. The velour has a high wool content apparently to help with sweatiness but I still find the leather better, perhaps partly because of its perforations.

But the Dr is right, in the most exclusive cars, traditionally at least, they would always have leather in the front for the drivers seats, and in the rear it would often be velour. Talking 1930's Rolls Royces there though really, it seems to have died out slowly over the years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts