Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 S500 / 96 E320 Coupe / 2 x E300 D Wagons / 96 SL500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering when the timing chain should be replaced on my monster?

She has done about 85k and has led a reasonably well serviced life.

Are there any symptoms that might require urgent attention?

Also she is making a loudish ticking sound at idle, when listening this is not coming from the front of the engine but from the left hand side (as you stand infront of the car) under the depths of plastic cladding.

Any ideas?

One more thing the automatic locking after take off has stopped functioning any ideas on how to get this back working?

Many thanks[:)]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
You need to be a little more specific about the click noise for us to be able to try to assist.. have you removed the cover.. do you have a cam... pictures are worth a thousand words..

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
p_aplin, check out this link...

http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_lifter.html

I've also read that the V8's are prone to chain failure. Not so much the chain, but the tensioners and guides.

·
Registered
97 S500/ 97 C230
19 Posts
In regards to your "loudish ticking" when she is idle, I suggest that you check your oiler tubes. It sounds like a problem that I just recently fixed. When I asked the dealership "why" the response was that this model was made in this kind of fashion and their prone for this repair. My cost

Leaking Olier Tubes
Valve Cover Gaskets + (Kit)
Extra Parts

275 parts
315 labor
590 Total I hope this helps [:)]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
I would go for the lazy lifter first at 85k not likley to be the chain..can you give more info on the car and if it goes away when warm or gets louder on deceleration etc..we have visited this subject many times .. try a search see what you come up with .. then get back to us..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts