Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S420
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

I'm new to the site and am looking for instructions on how to remove and rebuild the throttle body on my s420. I have Alldata's information, but it doesn't contain any directions on this repair. Thanks for your help - Craig

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
its pretty easy if your talented with a soldering iron, its just replacing some wires and recovering said wires with some thick heat resistant tubing. while its off you will want to replace the breather tube from the throttle body to the passenger side of the engine, your gonna need a new gasket for the throttle body as well.

this is not the same motor but the idea is the same just go slowly and take pictures of everything so you know how it all goes back.
Rewiring the Right Side Electronic Throttle Actuator (ETA) | V12 Uber Alles

EDIT: i just realized you have a 97 you shouldn't have any problems with the eta, what kind of problem are you experiencing?

·
Registered
1997 S420
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ASR light and Check engine light come on frequently accompanied by limp mode. Code is a P1580. I can hear the ETA gears grinding, so expect to find it jammed somehow.

·
Registered
91 500SL, 93 600SL, 95 S600 coupe, 97 S320, 99 ML430, 2003 CL600, 94 SL600, 97 Kawasaki 1100 STX
135 Posts
I rewire ETAs 92-95 models. 96 and up are different and don't have problems with wiring anymore. If you hear grinding sounds your best bet is used ETA as they are not as expensive as pre 96 ones.
One other thing you can do is remove and open it. If there are apparent damage replace it. I rewired one ETA from France off sl500 real Brabus and it was all rusty inside, gears barely moved. After rewire I had to grease it up for good. Maybe you have same issue where you just need to grease it up a bit. Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
1997 S420
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
W140 ETA rebuild

I got the ETA off and removed the cover and throttle plate gear has two or three missing teeth. The gear appears to be permanently attached and can't be removed. Do you know if this gear can be replaced, or do I need to buy a replacement ETA - new or otherwise. I've attached a photo of the gear with missing teeth.

Thanks for your help
Craig

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts