Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S420
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys / Girls

Has anyone had to reconnect the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror, I ask as have just had new screen fitted and they haven’t made the connection claiming that the wire was too short to connect prior to bonding the screen, have looked at lots of existing posts related to the removal & repair of the mirror itself but could find nothing about removal of the complete assembly to get to the rain sensor connection, quite prepared to give it a go but don’t want to break any of the plastic mouldings if I can help it.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
hoggy, what happens when the wiper switch is in the first position (intermittent) ?

Seeing that this topic has shown up again, I hope you don't mind me asking a few related questions, and I might benefit from an answer to hoggy's original post too.

I need to contact the PO to make sure, but I bought this '97 S320 in March 2010. The windshield is very, very clear, with only a couple of very minor mini-chips -- no pitting anywhere. So, I'd say it's been replaced.

When I put the wiper stalk in the first position (intermittent) it just constantly wipes (no water at all), and at the same speed as the next position (constant speed 1). When there is rain, there's no difference in wiper speed, regardless of rain amount, so it's not a matter of it sort-of working if there is rain present.

I can't see a rectangle where the sensor should be -- only the black.

After some reading here there are apparently replacement windshields with and w/out the sensor.

Q1) Do all original windshields have the G.Daimler white-background signature block in the lower right corner ?

Q2) Do all OEM replacement windshields have the G.Daimler white-background signature block in the lower right corner ? I have no sig block.

Q3) If a windshield has no sensor, but the car initially came with the feature, would the wiper be constant in the intermittent position ?

So, after some months' long thinking, I'm guessing I have a replaced windshield (no sig block, and very clear) w/o a sensor (my manual says it has the feature, which was probably standard -- I doubt MB would describe something that had no visible means of knowing you had it or not; it also describes heated seats, but since I have no switches, those are obviously options). I wish mine would just have a 10-second intermittent sweep.

·
Registered
1997 S420
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The auto speed always worked prior to having the screen changed, I had to wait 2 weeks to get the screen fitted with the sensor, screens without the sensor were ready available, in my case at least when turning the stalk to the first notch no rain no wipe, frequency of wipes dependant on how heavy the rain, sounds like your new screen did not have the sensor, or connecting it went into the too hard basket as was the case with the screen repairer I used.

·
Registered
1997 S320 LWB Original owner
95 Posts
Hi Guys / Girls

Has anyone had to reconnect the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror, I ask as have just had new screen fitted and they haven’t made the connection claiming that the wire was too short to connect prior to bonding the screen, have looked at lots of existing posts related to the removal & repair of the mirror itself but could find nothing about removal of the complete assembly to get to the rain sensor connection, quite prepared to give it a go but don’t want to break any of the plastic mouldings if I can help it.
I had my windshield replaced earlier this year. In my case the exact same thing occurred. The techs installing the windshield lined up the glass to the two prongs from the rain-sensor and finished the job. Unfortunately i lost the rain sensor feature. I brought the car back to the shop and a new tech removed the light assembly and a host of other little widgets around the rear view mirror so that he could push the plug firmly into the receiver on the windshield. All totaled it took him about 15 minutes to do the disassemble and reassemble to make the repair. He said it always happens when the techs don't support the assembly from inside the cabin when installing the glass. I suggest bringing it back to the shop as it is their fault it is not a short wire

·
Registered
1997 S320 LWB Original owner
95 Posts
The Daimler signature can be purchased on line for about a dollar - it is not an easy way of determining replacement vs original equipment. But the lack of the signature plate is a good indication it is a replacement... Yes there are rain sensor and non rain sensor windshields but the price difference in the USA is negligible . My bet is ..See my reply below, I believe you have the same condition

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
Here's a perfect example of where the dealer comes in handy:

You can have the window replaced by the dealership or some 'drive to your office' place where they do the work in the parking lot. It costs YOU the same, either way, if you have insurance: -0-.

But here's the rub: The 'parking lot guys' get a W140 window and slap it in, no regard what you have/don't have. They get a set price no matter what and they're anxious to get in and get the heck out ASAP. While all W140 windows have the same dimensions, only the 97/98/99 have the rain sensor which requires a (slightly) different windshield for that feature to work.

The PO of my sedan had the 'parking lot guys' do a window replacement on the car, and when I bought it, the rain sensing didn't work. No warranty of course, I was SOL on that score. I took it to the dealer, and a day later, picked it up and they said it was the wrong installation of a replacement windshield. Not only that, but they showed me the excess amount of silicone the wrong guys used to get the window to stick.

Once again, choose to ignore the dealer at your own peril if you wish. But don't expect the car to work correctly when you use "Brand X" replacement parts.

Here's a photo of my car's new window sticker:

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 S420
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being an impatient bugger I got stuck into it last night, as well as dealing with a starting problem on my sons W126 but that’s another story, agree with langella72, would be just a 15 minute job if you had done it a few times, I took me a tad longer, once you realise how the casting that holds everything in place is removed it’s a doddle, ( sorry no pictures ) there are two castings / brackets, the upper bracket is screwed to the roof of the car, the second ( lower ) bracket which everything hangs off of is latched into the upper bracket, whilst the two brackets are latched together you can’t get at two of the 3 fixing screws just leave the one screw you can see in place, the latch is a spring loaded, double ended devise that takes a fair amount of effort to release, by placing a flat screw driver between the two castings at the end furthest away from the screen and prying them apart the latch will release, it takes a bit of effort and not knowing if I was going about it the right way was a bit nerve racking, off she pops, pushing the lower bracket back into place also takes a fair bit of effort, I have missed out removal of the plastic housings, wiring connectors, these are covered by the rear view mirror post in the knowledge base. Anyways, wiper sensor is now reconnected and working fine, also performed the fix on the mirror as described in the knowledge to cure broken plastic clips, lubricated the ball & socket joint as mine was far too stiff and probably the reason for the broken clips in the mirror housing, alls now good even if it did take me all evening to accomplish, tonight back onto the W126.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
Dove: I got my sticker from the dealer. No charge. They even installed it for free, at their insistance.

Hoggy: I got the faulty wipers to work occasionally, too, with the old windshield, but it would work for only a short period of time before going back to a default intermittant wiper mode (running the windshield every few seconds, rain or not). The problem lies in whether you have the proper mount on the windshield. Mine was found to be broken so a new windshield was the only solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts