Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

How is the power steering fluid checked on this vehicle? I've checked the dipstick while engine is cold, and it reads at the "min" mark. I also see a fluid build up around the unit and under the unit on the floor, very small leak. Question is, do I check the fluid with a cold or hot engine? My dipstick has a 20 degree and 80 degree mark, my owners manual do not give me the information on how to check it. Also, is the filter difficult to change? What type of leaks normally occur with the power steering pump?

Thanks,

Luke

·
Registered
1914 Mercedes 28/95 hp, 83' 300SD, 93' S420, (three) 94' S420's, 95' S500 & 96' S600
284 Posts
119 4.2 liter V8 power steering

All,

How is the power steering fluid checked on this vehicle? I've checked the dipstick while engine is cold, and it reads at the "min" mark. I also see a fluid build up around the unit and under the unit on the floor, very small leak. Question is, do I check the fluid with a cold or hot engine? My dipstick has a 20 degree and 80 degree mark, my owners manual do not give me the information on how to check it. Also, is the filter difficult to change? What type of leaks normally occur with the power steering pump?

Thanks,

Luke
Good day Luke,

Strongly suggest that you read over the various posts regarding the 119 V8's engine. This 4.2 liter is a great partner, but will NOT tolerate having the fluids ignored... promise!

At just below operating temperature (80 deg C or 174 deg F.)... ensure the vehicle is on level plane and carefully open the steering reservoir. Then add the fluid to just below the maximum plane of the plastic max fill area. ENSURE TO NOT overfill. Most all leaks are from simple overfill issues.

There are alot of different feelings on fluid type to utilize... we believe in use of simple Dexron III/ Mercon Transmission fluid for the 1995 and earlier 119 V8 power steering systems. Now, if your engine has the Mercedes fluid presently being used and/or you have the record data reflecting the fluid being used... then continue same please!

Regarding your leak question.... Ensure the engine is OFF! Now, using a small flashlight, visual the area beneath the reservoir. There is a small 3.5" rubber hose between the reservoir and pump assembly. This should be dry. If not, then either the reservoir base gasket is leaking and/or the hose itself is leaking. Now, if these two areas look dry... then do a visual of the front of the pump (the poly-belt area).. run you finger at the base of the poly-belt rear and try to determine if the area behind the belt sheave is dry or if the is fluid leaking from the seal at the front of the steering pump housing. If it is leaking... you will note steering fluid withing the poly belt sheave.... behind and on the inside bottom of the poly-belt sheave housing! Do NOT overlook the possibility of a simple hose leak... whether it be at a fitting... or the possibility of the hose leaking along the length. Do a good examination of all components... the dust shields (black nylon lower covers) will require removal and DO NOT forget to use jack-stands before getting beneath you vehicle. WORK SAFE!

We recently addressed the "Power Steering Leak" issue on the 119.97 in a S420, 1994 vehicle. Take a look at this post and the inexpensive seal replacement..... :thumbsup: There are several pictures that will answer all of the regular questions regarding the pump assembly seal r/r!

Take a few moments and visit alldatadiy.com This site is on task and has all of the same information our WIS and STAR data-bases cover. A year subscription is well worth the investment.

On newer S Klasse you will have the Tandem unit set as below images describe. Although the tandem reservoir is described as for the 120 (V12)... it is for this post.. simply reflecting the image of the 97 S420 V8 reservoir component as on for this Owner's 1997. The following is the appropriate data for checking same. The above 80 degree data (just below operating temperature also reflects). ONLY UTILIZE Benz or Fluid in Use presently for the NEWER >95', etc.

1 Check oil level, correct, if necessary
NOTE:

* Do not overfill reservoir, observe mark
* Oil level at oil temperature of approx. 20 degrees C : between min. and max. mark.
* Engine 120: an oil dipstick with "min" and "max" marks is located on the cap of the compensation reservoir; the associated temperatures are also specified here.

2 If fluid level is too low, determine cause and correct

* Power steering pump (check tandem pump, high and low pressure lines and steering gear for leakage)

The posting regarding pump seal replacement is appropriate for your pump as well... the reservoir, etc is tandem as you noted with the 1997. Ensure to utilize your appropriate fluid on the 1997 as well. Please advise if we can assist further. The pump seal r/r is on page(s) 2 or 3 at this time.
Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 S420
1 Posts
What year did they change pump types? Mine is 1997

Hello, My car does not have the big round reservoir. It is squarish and has a plastic cap with dipstick attached. Also looks like another round pump without reservoir below with another pulley. Is this the Tandem Pumps yopu refer too? I do not believe my car has load leveling. Thanks, Gary..:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts