Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching a 1997 500SL getting a lot of attention on eBay in the past week and it has the Lorinser logo in chrome on the RH rear panel (the eBay number is 4532583097). I have researched this topic but haven't yet found anything that leads me to believe it was a factory option. Am I wrong? What's the story? I was amazed to see it go for such a low price ($25.7K). It had a lot of extras on it. What did you all think of it?

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
Overall the car looks nice. It seems someone added the Lorinser logo to the trunk lid, installed remus cat back exhaust, chrome rims & an aftermarket sound system.
Black/tan isn't the hottest combination, I'm curious to know if any of the panels besides the bumpers were painted.
Personally I hate it when people install aftermarket stereo systems in these cars, especially that speaker enclosure which is mounted on the rear deck.
I'don't see any "lorinser" additions / modifications & as far as I know M/B never offered a "Lorinser" option package.

Brett

·
Registered
1990 500SL
39 Posts
you can check your
chassis number "WDB 129 etc..." and get a full report of the car build,
quite amazing.

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How reliable do you think that service is? I checked my VIN number and it was not in their records. Should I be nervous? I am supposed to send a rather large deposit tomorrow. The Carfax shows that everything is very legitimate. What should I do?

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
I tried it using my VIN & received an error type message also.
Do you know what kind of warranty is included with the car?
Have you inquired regarding verification that the car was ever hit, in an accident or any panels replaced/painted. Inquired about mechanical issues?
If you know a M/B Service Advisor you could have them check the VIN, any work performed at a M/B dealer should be available. I would make sure all services were done, TSB's, etc.
Personally I am not the type who would purchase a vehicle from E-bay - sight unseen, but I have associates / friends who have & they purchased nice vehicles.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Brett

How reliable do you think that service is? I checked my VIN number and it was not in their records. Should I be nervous? I am supposed to send a rather large deposit tomorrow. The Carfax shows that everything is very legitimate. What should I do?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
90SL500, 97S320, S14
43 Posts
Lorinser is an after market upgrade. similar to Brabus, MAE, RennTech. Only AMG is Mercedes in-house upgrade people, and Only the AMG edition is officialy sold by Mercedes Benz themselves.

The SL Lorinser edition is upgraded by Lorinser and it covers facelift of the bumpers, change of rims to Lorinser rims, a spoiler at the back, exhaust and some other upgrades. As far as I know Lorinser does not make any changes to the engine.

I have taken a look at the car that you are talking about, it only has the Lorinser badge, nothing else is Lorinser, the rims are AMG design (not sure if its original) and the exhaust is also not lorinser.

You can take a look at the Lorinser SL here :
http://www.lorinser.com/produkte/cars/sl_kl_r129/sl_r129.php?lang=e

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but pull that Lorinser badge off when you get the car, as there is nothing Lorinser about it. No reason for it to be there unless you like the way it looks. The wheels are AMG replicas but the Pilot Sport tires are definitely nice to have. Remus exhaust is a nice upgrade. I personally like the black and tan and it looks like a clean car with low miles. Xenon lights are a plus. I think you will be happy with it even if its not a "Lorinser Edition."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts