Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a 97 E420 a few months ago. After about a month, the ASR light started coming on. I looked, and it turns out one of the vacuum hoses was cracked. I ordered the replacement from AutohausAZ and replaced it. It still came on.

Since then, I've bought a used throttle body and used MAF. It still comes on.

After driving the car, I put it in park, wait a few minutes, and the ASR light turns on. Also, recently, when I'm driving it's like the engine cuts out every few seconds at speeds <40MPH.

Also, after I start the car, it idles just under 1k rpm, is that too high?

One more thing, here are the error codes the car gives me:

P1519
P0443
P0507
P1580

Thanks for any help you can give me! :confused:

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Very similar symptom to mine...I believe your vehicle is in limp mode.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Hi all,

I picked up a 97 E420 a few months ago. After about a month, the ASR light started coming on. I looked, and it turns out one of the vacuum hoses was cracked. I ordered the replacement from AutohausAZ and replaced it. It still came on.

After driving the car, I put it in park, wait a few minutes, and the ASR light turns on. Also, recently, when I'm driving it's like the engine cuts out every few seconds at speeds <40MPH.

P1519
P0443
P0507
P1580

Fortunately I took a look at the Benz this morning, started her up and noticed that my battery terminal was very loose...I was thinking i had bigger problems, hopefully you don't. Check your battery terminal because after tightening mine, it went back to normal. The car will idle high after a start up because it is recycling the emissions to warm up faster, which is normal.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,260 Posts
Hi all,

P1519
P0443
P0507
P1580

P1519 right adjustable camshaft solenoid
P0443 evap purge control malfunction
P0507 idle control speed higher than expected
P1580 EA/CC/ISC activator

if you or the PO haven't replaced ALL the vacuum hoses under the engine cover, I'll bet you've got more than one that is leaking and falling apart. that may explain some of your driveability symptoms.

why did you replace the throttle body and MAF??

However, don't think any of the above is related to the ASR light. something is making the ECM think there is a rear wheel speed differential, could be one of the rear sensors.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses - the battery terminal was fine.

I replaced most of the vacuum hoses. However, I didn't replace the plastic tubing that have the rubber elbows on both ends. Can I replace those lines with just one rubber hose, or do I need to buy new elbows and the plastic tubing? (plastic tubing is at bottom of page): Your Parts Search Returned 5 Part(s)

I replaced the MAF and TB b/c from what I read online, those are usually the parts that make the ASR light come on.

When you say rear sensor, do you mean the ABS speed sensor?: Mercedes-Benz E420 Abs Wheel Speed Sensor - 1994 - 1995 1997

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One problem that I forgot to mention in the post is that now when the car is sitting at a stop light (in drive, idling), the ASR will come on, and the car won't go over 20MPH.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
I replaced the MAF and TB b/c from what I read online, those are usually the parts that make the ASR light come on.
Don't know where you read that, but the MAF & Throttle body has got NOTHING to do with the ASR. The above-mentioned parts will make the Check Engine light come on, but not the ASR light.
I think you'll be best off to have the car scan by somebody with a STAR system. But if you want to just throw parts at it, start with the brake light switch.:cool:

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,260 Posts
Don't know where you read that, but the MAF & Throttle body has got NOTHING to do with the ASR. The above-mentioned parts will make the Check Engine light come on, but not the ASR light.
I think you'll be best off to have the car scan by somebody with a STAR system. But if you want to just throw parts at it, start with the brake light switch.:cool:
x2 STAR or Carsoft can pull codes for the ASR, that would get you started. As you are now finding out, your just "shotgunning" the problem and getting nowhere. The mercedes diagnostics are VERY detailed and can save you lots of time and money fixing problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts