Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have a 97 E420 196,xxx miles. When I start it sometimes the gauges work, everything with a needle, and most times they don't. The panel with temp, time etc always works as do the idiot lights. Intermittent are the tach,fuel,mph,temp gauges.
The ASR light has been on for a few years and was on before these issues arose.
I'm concerned that either the keys are worn or worse the ignition switch tumblers are worn. Am I on the right track?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise, but I think I might try the cheaper alternative of replacing the key first. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ,really I don't know that you're wrong, BUT I think it prudent to start with the cheapest replacement and work my way to the most expensive UNLESS someone can give me a definitively better response.
Now, here's why I think it may be the key or tumblers.
The problem started when I noticed that my wife's key would shut down the needles and I (my son) lost my "switchblade" style key and I had to resort to using the Valet Key. The Valet key never shut down the needle gauges but my wives "switchblade" style key did. Now both shut down the needle gauges intermittently. So I can't tell if it's the keys or the ignition switch or ???
Better plan?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts