Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

97 E320 normal running temp???

7693 13
Hello. I am new to Mercedes and have a question about what the normal running temp should be. I have had the car a couple weeks now and have been attempting to fix some small surface rust spots before I set it loose. Today while working on it I let it run awhile and I noticed it was consistently just under 100 C (maybe 97-98 C) in 70F weather. This is also the temp that it was at the whole way bringing it home from Chicago with no issues. Is this normal? Also there was a slight antifreeze smell today while it was running, but everything looked normal...temp was steady at just under 100 C and there was no AF leaking out anywhere. Thank you for your help...

Indydad
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97' E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Figuero...Should I do this right away or can it wait a couple of weeks since it is not getting any hotter than 97C? I am kind of running into many maint. things(oil change, ATF change, brakes, spark plugs) at once on it right now and don't have much free time. Do you know how much a Indy or MB shop would charge to do this?

·
Registered
97' E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It warms up fairly quickly and it is setting in the garage now, I haven't started driving it everyday yet but I can go out and let it run to see how it does. I ordered the thermostat last night and should have it a few days. If this doesn't do anything I will flush the coolant. So from what most of you are saying, you don't think it is a fan issue? thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.