Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

97 E320 normal running temp???

7693 13
Hello. I am new to Mercedes and have a question about what the normal running temp should be. I have had the car a couple weeks now and have been attempting to fix some small surface rust spots before I set it loose. Today while working on it I let it run awhile and I noticed it was consistently just under 100 C (maybe 97-98 C) in 70F weather. This is also the temp that it was at the whole way bringing it home from Chicago with no issues. Is this normal? Also there was a slight antifreeze smell today while it was running, but everything looked normal...temp was steady at just under 100 C and there was no AF leaking out anywhere. Thank you for your help...

Indydad
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,339 Posts
About 85c for me as well with the E430. Neither of our w210s ever got near 100c unless stuck in heavy hot summer traffic. I doubt the trouble is with the electric fans as they shouldn't be running in the winter anyway. Plus, you run at the same temperature whether on the road or just idling.
My first guess would be thermostat too.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,339 Posts
Kajtek1 - Why do you suspect the fan switch? He is running 97c in a midwest winter on the highway?

I've never done a MB diy thermostat, can the old fashion test of suspending it in a sauce pan with a good instant read thermometer work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.