Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow MB people, I have a '97 E320 that on my road trip tonight lost the driver side headlamp. Need to replace but do not what direction to go. Should replace both, correct? should I stay with OEM replacement, or go Xenon. I am new to the MB world but are the original headlamps normal halogen headlights? What do I need to convert the lamps to Xenon, can it be done, and waht if any special tools are needed? Thanks in advance....
where is the best place to shop for replacement lamps, Ebay, OEM parts warehouse? Germany? Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Xenon (HID) bulbs are not plug and play - you're talking about a big project to change out the housing, get the bulbs, the ballasts as well as re-programming your electrical system to recognize the different hardware.

You can get a significant boost in performance with SilverStars or Hoen equivalent bulbs.

They will get you as close to Xenon as possible for under $50

Replace them both at the same time. The color stays balanced and if one went -- how far behind is the other?

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello ---,

I've been pondering the replacement of the original headlights for my 2000 E320 now for a while. I really like the appearance of the fixtures when standing in front of the car looking at it - much more modern look.

But after changing lamps the other day to Silverstar's, I realize that the original setup really provides good light down the road. I personally don't like the look of the light characteristics of projector headlight fitted cars as I'm driving toward them at night on the road - especially strong HID's.

I'm also confused by what I've read here and there about the after-market units available (lots on eBay) having quite inferior "lenses" and the need to refit something else in there at another added expense.

So, for now, I'm going to stay with the originals and know that what I have is good and adaquate. I do kind of wish that there was a similar refit unit available that was still in the standard "reflector" category, but with clear (non-textured) coverings.

Brian - Yakima, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the useful info. I am going to check out the Silverstar and Hoen Bulbs for replacement. I will change both as a base for what I have done to MB. Thanks again, now to search for the bulbs...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the depo projectors and have installed xenon ballast and bulbs and recently updated the projectors. first of all the depo projector sux with halogen setup. if upgraded to xenon light is 300% better even with depo projector. if you bend the shields in the depo's you will get much better results. after projector update to bixenon hella light is more evenly dispersed

so my opinion

1. faded stock lamps suck horibly
2. depos big improvement over faded stock lamps
3. depos with updated xenon vast improvment over above
4. depos with bent shields and xenon Major
improvement over above.
5. depos, xenon, and hella bixenon projectors
perfection!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts