Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP: ASR/Accelerator Problem. Can't find relevant thread.

Just returned home after 10 day vacation to find that I left my interior light on in my 97 E320. Pushed it out of the garage and jump started it easily. Let it run for awhile to charge the battery. While seated in the vehicle, I applied the accelerator to generate a little more charging power. After a few minutes, shut the car off and retired for the night. The next morning the car was completely dead (no display, dim interior light, etc.). Jump started the vehicle easily and reversed out of the driveway. As I did so, I noticed the ASR lamp in the lower left corner was on and ASR was also noticed on the display. After putting the car in drive, I applied the accelerator and immediately noticed no increase in power. First drive of the day usually includes brief hesitation from the accelerator so I backed off and applied my foot to the pedal again. No response. It idles right down the road but that's it. The pedal is no more resistant to pressure than normal. So I do not think the lack of accelerator response has anything to do with the Limp Home mode. Keep in mind that until this point I had not tried to rev the vehicle from under the hood. After reversing at idle speed to my driveway, and while running and in park, the vehicle began pulse rhythmically between 500 and 1200RPM. It was at this point that I popped the hood and checked that the accelerator cable was still connected. I also manually tried to rev the engine from under the hood. Since then, I've read this is a no-no and may have caused damage. However, I have done this on other occasions and had no issues.

After a conversation with my go-to technician, I removed the battery and charged it full. The tech recommended I touch the positive and negative for 30 seconds drain all power and "clear the computer". He felt that the system needed to "reprogram" itself. Following these instructions brought no change in symptoms. I removed the battery again and clamped the 2 cables together for 10 minutes. After reinstalling the battery and restarting, I still have both warning indicators (ASR lamp and ASR malfunction readout) and no response from the accelerator. The pulse in the engine's idle power is intermittent.

What to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just returned home after 10 day vacation to find that I left my interior light on in my 97 E320. Pushed it out of the garage and jump started it easily. Let it run for awhile to charge the battery. While seated in the vehicle, I applied the accelerator to generate a little more charging power. After a few minutes, shut the car off and retired for the night. The next morning the car was completely dead (no display, dim interior light, etc.). Jump started the vehicle easily and reversed out of the driveway. As I did so, I noticed the ASR lamp in the lower left corner was on and ASR was also noticed on the display. After putting the car in drive, I applied the accelerator and immediately noticed no increase in power. First drive of the day usually includes brief hesitation from the accelerator so I backed off and applied my foot to the pedal again. No response. It idles right down the road but that's it. The pedal is no more resistant to pressure than normal. So I do not think the lack of accelerator response has anything to do with the Limp Home mode. Keep in mind that until this point I had not tried to rev the vehicle from under the hood. After reversing at idle speed to my driveway, and while running and in park, the vehicle began pulse rhythmically between 500 and 1200RPM. It was at this point that I popped the hood and checked that the accelerator cable was still connected. I also manually tried to rev the engine from under the hood. Since then, I've read this is a no-no and may have caused damage. However, I have done this on other occasions and had no issues.

After a conversation with my go-to technician, I removed the battery and charged it full. The tech recommended I touch the positive and negative for 30 seconds drain all power and "clear the computer". He felt that the system needed to "reprogram" itself. Following these instructions brought no change in symptoms. I removed the battery again and clamped the 2 cables together for 10 minutes. After reinstalling the battery and restarting, I still have both warning indicators (ASR lamp and ASR malfunction readout) and no response from the accelerator. The pulse in the engine's idle power is intermittent.

What to do?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
First ensure that your battery is providing full voltage. You may have killed it.

For the ASR lamp, you probably just need to turn the steering wheel all the way in each direction. I do not know what could be wrong with the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that.

I have tried the suggestion you made. Turned the steering wheel all the way in both directions to no avail. As for the battery, it is holding a good charge now. The tester shows the voltage as "marginal". Car starts fine but if you think a new battery has a good chance of solving the ASR issue I'll pick one up. However, if you don't think so, I'll make due with the one I have considering I'll be spending plenty of $ to solve my problems. Thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
1997 E320
1 Posts
I wish I could find an answer to this. I've been chasing this same problem for a couple of months. '97 E320. Left the interior light on and killed the battery. Jumped started it the wrong way. It started right up, but there is no response from the accelerator pedal. I hooked up an OBDII and it connects and reports no codes. I tried resetting codes just in case and it reports a successful reset, but nothing changes. Now the battery is likely shot as well. I've seen posts that point to the ECU and also to the relay assembly co-located in the electronics housing (OVP relay?). I can get a working ECU from a salvaged car for about $200, but I don't want to do it without some level of confidence that I'm fixing the right thing. I've seen a few people with this problem, but the threads all seem to die unresolved. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Without guessing as to what your problem may be, I note that you cannot get the ECU out of a junkyard car without also changing a lot of other parts to match.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue with my '97 e320 as well. I have found some threads in other forums that have said it could be the accelerator. Is there a sensor on the pedal? could it be the throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
30 Posts
guys this happened to me today. I was changing my battery and voila the car ran like crap. I got out my scan tool (check engine light was not on but asr was) checked codes and it said idle control (to high) i erased the codes started the car and it was fixed.

·
Registered
1997 E320
3 Posts
Same to me. No DTC, but no accelerating. Runs only on idle and a little rough. Changed the MAF sensor and the fuel filter as was advised, but still no change. Happened when I jump started the car and recharged the battery. Heard so many different ideas what could be the problem, that I really do not know how to proceed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do?

Were you able to fix your ASR and Pedal accelerator issues with your 97 E320? If you did, please tell us what was the issue, or post a link.. I have exactly the same issue with my Benz

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,372 Posts
If you get the ASR light coming up and ASR malfunction, you need to get the car scanned with a scanner that can scan individual modules like the ASR. The ASR fault code may reveal what the problem is. Possibly a malfunctioning ASR/ETC module. The wheel speed sensor outputs are sent to the other modules like the Transmission control. If this information is not available, the transmission will not engage.

I would start with the module scan. It should give you fault codes starting with "C" in the form of C1XXX.

Note: for ASR lamp turning steering wheel lock to lock will not do anything. This is done for ESP fauits (steering angle reset).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts