1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz C280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've posted before about this car, but here's an update:

It's a 97' C280 w/148k miles, that could not accelerate at all, it would sputter and backfire when you pushed the throttle.

Mechanic found water in the fuel! Drained all the fuel, cleaned the fuel lines, rails, and injectors. After that, the car operated incredibly better. When you start it, it runs perfectly fine. You can drive it down the road with no problem whatsoever. When the car heats up to around 80 Centigrade, however, the problem comes back. It refuses to accelerate and sputters and shakes terribly. You can turn it off, wait a little while, and start it back up with no problems.

So we sent it to the Mercedes Benz dealership to diagnose. It has developed yet another issue; it now idles high, around 2800 rpms according to dealership. THIS WAS NOT AN ORIGINAL ISSUE. It has happened only in the last week. They now say that the ASR Electronic Throttle Acceleration Unit (202 545 46 32) is bad. This is a $1000 part minimum. They do not know if the Acceleration Unit is the cause of the originial issue - poor acceleration, or just the really high idling.

We're ready to sell the car and cut our losses. We only paid $3000 for the car and have spent so much already trying to fix it. Not ready to spend $1000 just to fix something that may or may not be the ultimate issue.

Total, we replaced and did the following:

1. Fuel Filter x2
2. Mass Airflow Sensor
3. Camshaft Sensor
4. Plugwires
5. Plugs
6. Removed & Cleaned the Throttle Body
7. Checked the ECU by replacing with another to test it
8. Checked the wire harness for any tears, fraying, corrosion, etc.

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know what could cause an engine to sputter and shake and backfire (loss of air or fuel) ONLY when it reaches 80degrees centigrade?

2. Could the ASR Electronic Throttle Acceleration Unit cause the original problem of sputtering, shaking, and backfires; or is it only the cause of the high idle?

Thanks Everyone! If anyone wants to call and talk about it, I'm available at 706.658.5700.

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Sounds like a bad throttle body (or Throttle Acceleration Unit as you call it) to me. When mine whent bad it exhibited all the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz C280
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if you can exchange the ARS Electronic Throttle Acceleration Unit from a 1996 E320 with a 97' C280?

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Does anyone know if you can exchange the ARS Electronic Throttle Acceleration Unit from a 1996 E320 with a 97' C280?
If the Bosch numbers on the throttle bodies match it will work. There are different ones used depending on options of the car so a number match is the best way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts