Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my 2nd C230 today, a 1997 (have had an '06 for 3yrs). But I am having troubles getting the C230 started. I purchased at auction, so you never know history, but car looks great, has 100k miles and I purchased as a fixer upper since it didn't run when I bought it. Here is my problem:

When I turn the key, nothing at all happens, by nothing, I mean NOTHING, no clicks, no dimming of headlights, etc. Here is also what does and doesn't work.

*I have just installed a brand new battery.
*ALL fuses, engine compartment (left and right) and trunk have been looked over 4 times and are all good.
*Main cooling fan runs when ignition ignition is turned on, but nothing else.
*Instrument cluster does not light up-hazard lights all work propery and red triangle flashes.
*The interior lights, headlights, trunk, reverse, and all signal/hazard lights work fine.
*Horn works
*Central locking system works (all functions-manual with key, outside car, button inside, and trunk, red/green)
*Only one window control-pass. front-works, I hear click for all others in trunk fuse panel.
*Speedo/Tach Gauges do not light up.
*Radio doesn't turn on at all, no message on screen.

If anyone knows where I might find the holy grail of how to get this 97 C230 started, let me know. I'd love to be able to hear it run. Or, if you have any suggestions for any of the other items, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
O.k. I will be the first to try to take a stab at this one, :p I am not really sure of what you meant when you first insert the key if you can hear the column unlock or not? That will or would make a difference here if you can actually hear the column unlock, if it does then there is a central locking issue and probably not necessarily a electrical wiring problem, Anyway, here are some ideas......
I would first see if you can get a scanner to check for codes stored, may help point you in the right direction. Take a look under the car and make sure your connections are good at the starter, inspect the wiring to your modules, make sure there is no wiring damage (you will have to do removal of the plastic shield near the wiper to access)
I would pull the cover underneath the driver's steering column and inspect for loose wiring and make sure the grounds are tight. The radio (at least the one I still have) has a thin fuse in the back, you obviously will need radio removal keys to inspect that, I think the radio is the least of your worries now.
Lastly, you may want to try the resync procedure to possibly get all you windows working again, several posts on that which you can do the search feature for. :) B

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actron OBD-II 9175 code reader does not read any codes when hooked up and ignition turned on, there is a communications error. (The reader works fine on my other cars.)
Starter was removed and tested, operates fine. Wires look good.
All wires under dash panel looks fine.

What should I try next? Here is a short description of problem.

Has new battery, all central locking, headlights, and horn works. Insert key into ignition, turn, cooling fan comes on, turn to run, nothing at all. No beeps, no starter even attempting to crank.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
Just bought my 2nd C230 today, a 1997 (have had an '06 for 3yrs). But I am having troubles getting the C230 started. I purchased at auction, so you never know history, but car looks great, has 100k miles and I purchased as a fixer upper since it didn't run when I bought it. Here is my problem:

When I turn the key, nothing at all happens, by nothing, I mean NOTHING, no clicks, no dimming of headlights, etc. Here is also what does and doesn't work.

*I have just installed a brand new battery.
*ALL fuses, engine compartment (left and right) and trunk have been looked over 4 times and are all good.
*Main cooling fan runs when ignition ignition is turned on, but nothing else.
*Instrument cluster does not light up-hazard lights all work propery and red triangle flashes.
*The interior lights, headlights, trunk, reverse, and all signal/hazard lights work fine.
*Horn works
*Central locking system works (all functions-manual with key, outside car, button inside, and trunk, red/green)
*Only one window control-pass. front-works, I hear click for all others in trunk fuse panel.
*Speedo/Tach Gauges do not light up.
*Radio doesn't turn on at all, no message on screen.

If anyone knows where I might find the holy grail of how to get this 97 C230 started, let me know. I'd love to be able to hear it run. Or, if you have any suggestions for any of the other items, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Could be the neutral safety switch which allows the car to be started only in Park or in Neutral. Try cranking the car in Neutral and see if it starts. If not, try "wiggling" the shifter back and forth in Park while trying to crank. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
Not sure if this is possible but I used to to it to an old riding lawn mower! You could try a battery and jumper cables and energizing the starter directly to see if that works (with key to the run position). If so you'd know it was a wiring issue from the ignition to the starter.

I'M NOT A MECHANIC so this is probably not safe. Proceed at your own risk!

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes Benz 190e 2.3-16
4 Posts
Did anyone figure this one out? I have a friend with the same Issue right now.. And I was wonder what worked since this is an old post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts