Pete

i wasnt arguing with you.

I love the stance of that car, I say enjoy it until you cant anymore

we all love our respective MB chassis.

·
Registered
1991 300SL-Sold. 1998 SL500
1,128 Posts
Pete, I appreciate your opinion, but I also appreciate what he has done. People who have 6 cylinder cars and don't want to buy another one to increase power can swap motors. Actually, I was looking into this before I bought my 98.

·
Registered
96' SL320, 95' E320 (gone), 66' Ford Falcon
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Car looks great! Nice stance.
Must be a lot more fun to drive now....
thanks guys C=

So why no pictures of the swap? That's the stuff we are interested in. You know the rule here, no pictures, it didnt happen :grin
I told myself I wasn't going to be too detailed with the build on this car as, well, I don't really want to say why, but here are some pics ha

printing on the engine:

engine next to each other

shifter with delrin bushing kit (forgot to mention I installed this mod as well)

car being worked on

All you need to do now is go up against a 500 and figure out the results. If you are slower then IMO it might have been fun to do but not truly worth the effort :D
I'll be honest, there aren't that many r129's around where I live and even fewer that have people driving them that would be willing to do that sorta thing (most old prunes) but fwiw I ran my buddies 500E when I had the 3.6 in the w124 and beat him, but only raced him to about 80. I'm sure if we would have started at or above 100 he prolly would've beaten me but idk, I hear those v8's are good at hwy speeds.

But, with that being said, I don't even have to do that to make this worth the effort. This car is a blast to drive just because of the getrag mixed with the bushings, add in the 3.6 and my new rearend (old rear end=too short of gears) this thing is fuuuun. Plus I modified the exhaust so it's no longer a silent bore and add all that with the way it looks. I get so many compliments on the car I love it. I'm sure there is nothing I can say to change your opinion as you seemed pretty stern on the whole "why not just get a 500" but seriously, I can say %100 without a doubt was totally worth it. Plus I have the uniqueness factor. Plus did I mention It's a stick shift! =O

thanks for all the compliments guys if I missed anyone. I post quite a lot of pics on my instagram if you guys follow I follow back :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bill SD
41 - 45 of 45 Posts