Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, 1999 SLK, 2005 BMW 525I
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '96 SL320 has developed a loose rearview mirror, shaking when driving. Any suggestion on how to tighten it. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, there is, do a search on this subject for the remedy, there is a post that will lead you through the process, it also has pictures. You'll have to remove the mirror assembly then seperate the mirror into two halves, once you take it apart you'll see that the tension springs have either slipped out of their slot or that there just worn out. The solution is to install a 1/8" to 1/4" rubber pad between the two haves and reassemble. I followed the post to the letter with the exception of reassembly, to make this process easier I applied gorilla glue on the rubber pad to make it stay in place while putting the mirror back together. It worked and now my mirror is back to normal. Good Luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
More info, do a search using "loose mirror" go to hilton post, read reply by bobterry99. While removing your mirror assembly be sure to NOT pull on the mirror itself, grab the mirror at the neck, as close to the top as possible, pull forward and down, the assembly is spring loaded and will come down, again pull down and forward on the neck, not the mirror. Seperate the two halves slowly, observing how everything goes together. Forgot to mention I also gorilla glued the springs into the tabs, which made it easier to put back together. If you use gorilla glue use it sparingly, a little goes a long way, it's good stuff but it swells a lot when it cures. Be patient and let the glue cure. Take your time and Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts