Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2002 s500, 1993 AMG S600Coupe Japan, 1993 400SE, 1983 500SEC, 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am the Happy New owner of a 96 S600. It had been sitting for... I don't know how long ..
so I'm trying to revive it. I have put a fully charged brand new battery and double checked all the fluids and gave it a test start.

THe engine cranks but would not even attempt to start..

I checked the fuses and all the ones in the trunk are okay. However, for some mysterious reason in the engine compartment I have a couple of rows with no reading and also fuse number 22 which is ignition coils (see above). Has anyone ever accounted something like this?

Help!!

· Registered
1999 s500 sedan and 1997 s600 coupe and 1997 s500 coupe
173 Posts
Have a friend open the gas cap and put his ear in there, then turn the key to the run position. If you hear nothing, most likely it's a bad fuel pump .Let me know how it turns out. I've had my 97 for 5 years and in the middle of swapping then engine. Let me know if I can help in the future

· Registered
173 Posts
Also do you have the cards under fuse covers ? They have the description of each fuse. If they're missing I have extras I always grab from Pick a Part wrecking yards.

· Registered
96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
735 Posts
96 has an immobilizer which can do this, if either the module gets wet and craps or its triggered by the alarm. It cuts ignition...car cranks but won't start.
You have an infrared key? Start by getting out of the car, lock it with the remote, then unlock it with the remote, then try. If the immobilizer was triggered this should reset it if its good.
97 and later have a transponder in the key and a ring around the switch, 96 uses the remote/alarm to trigger the immo.

· Registered
173 Posts
Could also be a bad trans gear selector switch…
96 has an immobilizer which can do this, if either the module gets wet and craps or its triggered by the alarm. It cuts ignition...car cranks but won't start.
You have an infrared key? Start by getting out of the car, lock it with the remote, then unlock it with the remote, then try. If the immobilizer was triggered this should reset it if its good.
97 and later have a transponder in the key and a ring around the switch, 96 uses the remote/alarm to trigger the immo.
Geez obviously you have them, as you picture it in your post. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts