Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out cruising, raced twice, (won) went to the car wash, car will not start. OBDII'd it, error for EGR and O2 sensor. Ordered new O2 sensor. Got second opinion, might be the CPS(Crank/Cam Position Sensor). OK, ordered on of those. I learned it will not throw a code to the OBDII. Cool. Now I am waiting for my part to get here and losing sleep.

Will the fuel pump throw a fault code? And would I have the came issues if it were the fuel pump? Start right away, died when warm or high rev are achieved.

Also, I noticed the 4 pin connector on the top of the thermostat housing was hangn' on by a thread. I plugged it in a revved up the motor in gear(to get the temp up) it did not die! Amazing. I shut it down after it was obviously hot, and it started right up.

Was it the plug not plugged in all the way, or might my CPS die in the next week or so?

Oddly, now when I start it, the error message on the dash "Check Engine Electronics" was gone. Does that clear after OBDII is done?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I'm guessing you now have a spare CPS. There are protective designs for engine temp and I'd guess it was getting a false reading from the loose connector and shutting down.

A bad fuel pump can trigger codes, but that's diagnostics because there is no code for "bad fuel pump". Same thing for the fuel filter (have you changed yours?).

Given the repair you effected I would just sit back and wait, that may well have been all it was.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts