Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the car to grocery store it was fine, when I was coming back the car was not accelerating past 35 mph no matter how much gas pedal I was pressing, it seems like it was trying to accelerate. I turned off the car and started it back on it drove fine but gain the same thing happened when I drove the car again. Not sure what is causing the problem I hope its not transmission it seems to shift fine though when.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Yeah, and make sure you don't have banana in tailpipe.
What is this, an eighties Eddie Murphy movie? :D

Plus ten on checking codes. First/best place to start when you have drivability issues.

Check them against the list in the stickies or post them back and we'll find it together. Some auto parts syores will read them free, or Aamco will. Write them down, don't just accept their summary/description.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the codes, all clear no codes detected. I think there is a problem with fuel delivery because the car stalls sometimes

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Could this be one of the limp modes? Try a search for "limp" and read a couple of the threads. Or better yet, I think it must be covered in the stickys. The only thing that bothers me with that theory is I didn't think these were ever intermittent.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
(He has the 4 speed.)

OP: please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile. It's useful information and then we don't have to scroll all around in a thread if we want a reminder.

That could be fuel starvation. You could start with just a fuel filter, perhaps it's just been neglected. Fuel pumps don't fail too often on the 210, but they do on occasion, and clogged filters hasten that failure. If the pump is making noise (kind of a whine) then it's already suspect.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
(He has the 4 speed.)...
Thanks Greg I guess I forgot 2 things:

1) That he has a 1996
2) 4 speeds don't go into limp home mode

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now is it the banana in the tail pipe, the fuel filter or the fuel pump?

:dunno:

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbodiesel
463 Posts
I drove the car to grocery store it was fine, when I was coming back the car was not accelerating past 35 mph no matter how much gas pedal I was pressing, it seems like it was trying to accelerate. I turned off the car and started it back on it drove fine but gain the same thing happened when I drove the car again. Not sure what is causing the problem I hope its not transmission it seems to shift fine though when.
You may want to try this------------Start the car, let it warm up, while in park, depress the accelerator several times----what happens to the RPM----------------------if you get loads of RPM without the sensation of stalling go to step two---place the car in first gear and drive the car----what happens do you accelerate past 35, while driving place, the shifter in 2nd gear and do the same thing----what happens, besides pissing you neighbors off because you are screwing up the street stick ball game!!

Wait your report on the continuing saga of the "I can't go faster"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts