Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 96 E320 W210 inline 6cyl 3.2 have checked out everything possible thats been suggested in different forums evetything appears to be working but car wont start anyone had this problem before??? Dealer not sure either

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,850 Posts
Hello :)

Won't start means it cranks but does not start, or it does not even crank ?

What have been changed / fixed so far regarding this issue ?

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic and dealer not sure why everything checks out to be working mentioned as possible causes but car won't start anyone had this happen any ideas car was.running great for.several months. Just posted pictures of it recently some what embarrassed now to be asking for help.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
Mechanic and dealer not sure why everything checks out to be working mentioned as possible causes but car won't start anyone had this happen any ideas car was.running great for.several months. Just posted pictures of it recently some what embarrassed now to be asking for help.

Note. You have generated two posts for the same issue. I just copied my response from the other post.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I resubmitted my post due to the 2 words mispelled in the title.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding I was waiting to check with my MBenz mechanic he just bought the European German scanner like the Dealer has and they erase the history from my org.PCM COMPUTER in my car replaced old engine wiring harness now have car starting have a Code B1470-000,us ing new scanner any idea what that is???Thanks RayW210

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,736 Posts
Thanks for responding I was waiting to check with my MBenz mechanic he just bought the European German scanner like the Dealer has and they erase the history from my org.PCM COMPUTER in my car replaced old engine wiring harness now have car starting have a Code B1470-000,us ing new scanner any idea what that is???Thanks RayW210
My gosh RayW210,

After mrboca, ASKED YOU TWICE, you STILL haven't answered his question.....

Note. You have generated two posts for the same issue. I just copied my response from the other post.

How in the blazes do you expect any reasonable help from any member (especially mrboca), if you can't answer the simple question asked of you.....twice?
AND then asking members another question?.....
:unsure:

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
  1. I'm sorry I wasn't specific I replaced coils 3 spark plugs Bosch OEM PARTS transmission oil hose cam shaft position sensor crankshaft position sensor old frayed and burnt engine wiring harness ignition switch retro fitted headlights aftermarket along with taillghts however just looking over.the org owner service maintenance records this problem occurred in 2010 of noStart . Dealer fixed it that time appears loose wires at the battery. Today my mechanic has car starting with a new Dealer type.European German.scanner he got a Code B1470-000 not sure what that mean it was late he will check it out tomorrow. He show me erased history reprogrammed to factory settings OEM program car turn over starting and running now will check tomorrow if still works Hope that answers your question thanks

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,736 Posts
B1470 -Fuel Gauge Sensor Open Circuit

So you say the car is running now?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,309 Posts
That is still not answering MrBoca's question, OP.

Does the car crank and does not start, or no crank no start?

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car cranks it started ran several times Friday thought everything was ok Sat. morning No start but cranking tried holding brake turning key put it in neutral but cranks but no start so it doesnt apprar to be the neutral safety switch.. My mechanic tested remote locking system using key fob then.used the key.to lock unlock driver door car started tried several times only thing left is the PCM COMPUTER???

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your patince with me am new to this and frustrated with a really nice car that i bought with 76000 org miles now sevetal months later has 80 K everything works accept the trunk latch actuary motor was misding so unsble to open from inside car using switvh on console. My car has always crank but did start we fix one thing it start runs a day or 2 then stops goes back to cranking no.start.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about spelling I am textng but i have XL fat fingers trying to text on my cell phone.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
Thanks for your patince with me am new to this and frustrated with a really nice car that i bought with 76000 org miles now sevetal months later has 80 K everything works accept the trunk latch actuary motor was misding so unsble to open from inside car using switvh on console. My car has always crank but did start we fix one thing it start runs a day or 2 then stops goes back to cranking no.start.
Do you know the manufacture date for your car or the VIN ? Check the label at the driver's door sill.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the Vin #WBDJF55F2TJOO9616 My MBenz mechanic found the same exact car as mine and is using it as a donor car thats where he got my replacement eng wiring harness he checking to see if the PCM will work

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes my mechanic checked all fuel units it getting fuel check all the ignition system seems to lack spark communication or read signal.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
The VIN number is incorrect maybe WDBJF55F2TJ009616,

But, in any case, if your mechanic has a spare K40 fuse/relay unit (this is located there the Engine computer is, in the module box at the passenger side) from the donor car, I suggest he replaces yours with the one from the donor. K40 relay is one of the crank / no start reasons. One or more relays get old or the circuit board ends up getting solder cracks which can cause intermittent problems.

My understanding is that the crankshaft position sensor has been replaced, and it wiring is also replaced (another suspect areas). Can you confirm this ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@RayW210 have you broken your key anytime in the past? If you have then your problem lies there I had the exact same issue, if your key has broken then there might be a possibility that you lost a small rectangular piece ( not sure of the name ) that piece is vital for operating the vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
I do not believe the 96 E320 has a chip inside the fob. It uses authorization over the Infrared signaling . If the doors lock / unlock, the key should crank and start the car.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts