Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my problems started with rough starts in the morning along with greyish white smoke for about 5-10 minutes after starting. Then two days ago the car would not come on at all. After talking to a few people and doing some research it seemed like glow plugs were the culprit. I changed out the glow plugs tonight ( all six ) and two of them looked like they were beyond burnt. But the car still will not start, I'm starting to fear killing the motor in my starter at this point. I'm pretty damn positive that I put everything back together correctly. Just wanted to know what else I should maybe look at or some other things to think about trying to replace.

Thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
The best thing you can do is get the car scanned. The procedure will tell you what is at fault. Are you located in the USA or Internationally??

The alternative will be very entertaining-----you will be asked to look for bubbles, you will be asked to park your car on a hill, you will be asked to change the fuel tank filter, etc. Get the car scanned first to quickly locate the fault. Have a super holiday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I expected to hear. I'm just on a bit of a budget and was trying to see if there was anything simple that I was missing. I'm going to get it towed to a mechanic and have it checked out. Thank you for the advice and happy holidays to you and everyone here.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Surely you have a friend/neighbor that has a cheap obdII scanner that you could use before the tow---you want to know more than the wrench jockey!!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
You don't need a scanner to test glow plugs. All it takes is light bulb tester. Hook it up to the GP relay and see if there is power going to it. Could be that burned GP blow the fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts