Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right turn signal sometimes won't blink at all with no fault message from the dashboard. I would hear a faint blinker or clicking noise (not as load as the normal blinker), but the lights don't flash. This only happens to the right turn signal, other (left turn and hazard) lights work fine. After driving for a while (doesn't seem to be any regular interval, or tempurature related), it will start to work again until I park the car for a while. Or, it may work the next day I drive it.

I'm guessing it's some sort of blinker mechanism, or relay that's not having a good contact - since I hear a faint blinking noise when it doesn't work.

Anyone knows where the blinker relay, or control mechanism is? I hope I don't have to take the steering wheel apart to get to the combination signal stalk assembly... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
There is no blinker relay. This is integrated into the N10-1 combination control module. That's the rearmost module in the box at the right rear of the engine compartment.

I would hope that it's the switch, although I don't know why you would hear something if it was bad. The N10-1 module isn't cheap, and must be version coded to the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time it happens (this morning works fine), I'll try trace the sound. However, there is a relay in the dashboard area - where it makes the load blinker sound though. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Next time it happens (this morning works fine), I'll try trace the sound. However, there is a relay in the dashboard area - where it makes the load blinker sound though. Thanks!
This is an old post, I can see. But you can't blame the guy for having an old problem with his old MB :D.

Well kkau, I have the exact same problem NOW. The only difference is my left blink do not work (the right and hazard light work just fine). And sometimes the left one work just flawless.

I thought it was the combination switch in the steering column, so I open that up and there was nothing wrong. Everything goes back together.

Like your car, I can hear a fast click behind the glove compartment in the right dash area when I put my signal to the left. I don't know what it is. I would have to open it up to find out what is back there that is clicking. Ofcourse, you can't hear the noise when driving b/c too much road noise. But when you are parked with the engine off and the key is just on the 2nd click and it is really really quiet. YOU CAN HEAR IT.:rolleyes:

Have you ever solve your problem? I have the exact same car as yours, 1996 E300D.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Different situation I had here but related to the indicators. Mine were too fast, like on acid... The problem was in the PSE pump that was faulty. After changing it and the new one been reprogrammed on the star at MB, all is fine now.
Would yours be related too?
Olivier

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an old post, I can see. But you can't blame the guy for having an old problem with his old MB :D.

Well kkau, I have the exact same problem NOW. The only difference is my left blink do not work (the right and hazard light work just fine). And sometimes the left one work just flawless.

I thought it was the combination switch in the steering column, so I open that up and there was nothing wrong. Everything goes back together.

Like your car, I can hear a fast click behind the glove compartment in the right dash area when I put my signal to the left. I don't know what it is. I would have to open it up to find out what is back there that is clicking. Ofcourse, you can't hear the noise when driving b/c too much road noise. But when you are parked with the engine off and the key is just on the 2nd click and it is really really quiet. YOU CAN HEAR IT.:rolleyes:

Have you ever solve your problem? I have the exact same car as yours, 1996 E300D.
Sorry, I sold the car before I figured out what it was... Try follow the clicking sound and see what it is - my guess is the relay... Good luck. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry, I sold the car before I figured out what it was... Try follow the clicking sound and see what it is - my guess is the relay... Good luck. Thanks.
Oh schuck :D. Thanks for the response.
However, I did find out something very interesting about old mercedes, mine specifically.
When I first bought the car, both blinkers came on but only "ON", not blinking at all. I have to drive the car home by clicking on the handle manually ON then OFF, etc...
I traced from the N10-1 to the module on the driver side near the firewall. I unplugged all the plugs then them back, IT WORKS.

So now, I am having this problem with the left blinker not coming on at all.
Over the weekend, I took out the bottom panel from the driverside and manage to unplug the plug for the combination turn signal. I then plug it back in. IT WORKS again. Both blinkers work like new.

But, the joy is short lived. After about 5 minutes drive, shut off the engine, come back a while to go, it stops working. No left blinker.

So, I figure there is loose connection somewhere in the plug that is causing this. I will try opening it up again this afternoon and perhaps spray some contact cleaner to see the result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts