Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a car that has a purpose hand-built motor,(not just a 430 motor w/ different intake like the C43)It might be ever so slightly slower than the V-8 car, but carries more distinction since it was built for homologation into the DTM series. I have walked all types of Mustangs, new 350Z's, turbo RX-7's, Z28's. Everybody is stoked to find they have been walked by a naturally aspirated 3.6 inline 6! C36's run 14.5's @ 98mph. C43's only run 14.4 @ 99mph. Not much better for two extra cylinders????C36 is one of less than a thousand sent to North America. simply put - the baddest of the public offered natural aspirated 6cyl models. If you want the top dog C-class 202 car than look no further than the C55 sold in Germany. Good luck? My cars 'FOR SALE'link is below! Enjoy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6334&item=2407055192

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Looks nice. Price is a little steep for an Ebay 'Buy It Now', though.

Note: The C36 en...

Looks nice. Price is a little steep for an Ebay 'Buy It Now', though.

Note: The C36 engine was not a one-of-a-kind. It was taken from the Diesel 3.5L. They bored it out and adapted it to fit gas. [:p]

Looks good though!

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You stand corrected on the 3.6L motor! It has the hardened 'Steel' crank out of the S350...

You stand corrected on the 3.6L motor! It has the hardened 'Steel' crank out of the S350 diesel. That is where the similarity ends. The block casing is the C280 case. (All C36's start life as a C280) It comes out to 3.6l b/c of the bore/stroke relationship. The heads exhaust & intake ports are ported & flowed. The intake manifold is not a C280 intake. it is a variable volume deal that comes off the E320 of the same year. the intake works in harmoney w/the C36 only VVTI similar to the current Is300 & Hondas. It has stiffer than stock valve springs also. Compression is 10.5.1 with special hyperectectic(did I spell right) pistons w/special reliefs & ring spacing. Oil passagways are chamfered & opened up in certain places also. Camshafts are C36 specific pieces also.

Now the only thing that is different on a production line C43 vs E430 motor is a titanium intake on top to reduce motor weight. I do not know if it outflows the production 430 manifold??I assume it does. later

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: You stand corrected on the 3.6L motor! It has the hardened 'Steel' crank out of the S350

Now the only thing that is different on a production line C43 vs E430 motor is a titanium intake on top to reduce motor weight. I do not know if it outflows the production 430 manifold??I assume it does. later
You stand corrected on the C43 motor. The following changes are what I've been able to locate by comparison, but there may be more:

1) The intake is the same (well, it's the same part number)

2) The camshafts are different

3) The exhaust is different

4) The computer chip is different

This information was acquired by actually comparing two engines and the part numbers, as well as using WIS and the EPC to verify differences. As I mentioned, there may be more changes, but no others were readily apparent.

-s-

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
in which dream were you when you got 14.5 on the c36 cause last time i checked the c36 did...

in which dream were you when you got 14.5 on the c36 cause last time i checked the c36 did 14.9 and a 0-60 of 6.4.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: in which dream were you when you got 14.5 on the c36 cause last time i checked the c36 did

in which dream were you when you got 14.5 on the c36 cause last time i checked the c36 did 14.9 and a 0-60 of 6.4.
1997 model has better performance. 0-60 6.2 etc.

-s-

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I weigh 180 lbs. If you weigh 220lbs & we race, I will be right next to you! 10 hp & a b...

I weigh 180 lbs. If you weigh 220lbs & we race, I will be right next to you! 10 hp & a bad or heavy driver aint shit! Get real - my C36 against a fat dude in a C43 that doesnt know how to shift will loose!!! I dont care about motor trend posted times, they are not the real world!

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

I weigh 180 lbs. If you weigh 220lbs & we race, I will be right next to you! 10 hp & a bad or heavy driver aint ****! Get real - my C36 against a fat dude in a C43 that doesnt know how to shift will loose!!! I dont care about motor trend posted times, they are not the real world!
So you should know the numbers don't really matter... that's why when we've tried most C36s, we've found them to be noticeably slower than the C43! :)

-s-

p.s. I weigh less than you, too!

p.p.s. Why do people compare stock numbers anyhow? Anyone can mod his car to get more horsepower anyhow. So I understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
I weight 150. What now? Haha. But how do you blame a guy for sucking at his shifts in a C4...

I weigh 150. What now? Haha. But how do you blame a guy for sucking at his shifts in a C43? Last time I checked, it was an automatic.[8D]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I weight 150. What now? Haha. But how do you blame a guy for sucking at his shifts in a C4

I weigh 150. What now? Haha. But how do you blame a guy for sucking at his shifts in a C43? Last time I checked, it was an automatic.[8D]
Yeah, well the C43 already sucks at shifting itself... that's why it is so slow for having 300+ hp.

-s-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts