Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280 W202
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question regarding my trans cooler lines, the car (96 C280 M104) was previously at a workshop who messed up lots of things (which I’m slowly rectifying) one of them was incorrectly re-installing the lines to the radiator (don’t know why they were removed in the first place) they are now sitting wrong, the line marked with green should be routed under the red line, the blue line shows the correct path of the green line (apologies for rough edit to pic)

My question is, if I loosen the lines at the radiator to mount them correctly must I expect a loss of ATF in the process? Also is Liqui-Moly TopTec ATF 1100 appropriate for my gearbox? (722.424) it seems to have the right MB approvals. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,848 Posts
722.4 takes any Dex III fluid, you can put in the synthetic Dex VI if you want as they are backwards compatible. My understanding is that the loss will be minimal, the fluid going through there is pumped via the primary pump, so if the engine is off not much will come out.

On the topic of these lines... I need to replace my own, the ones underneath are rusted pretty bad. They don't leak yet, but I'd rather by ahead of the problem... I don't know where to source some new hard lines, I might have to get some fabricated.

·
Registered
1996 C280 W202
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
722.4 takes any Dex III fluid, you can put in the synthetic Dex VI if you want as they are backwards compatible. My understanding is that the loss will be minimal, the fluid going through there is pumped via the primary pump, so if the engine is off not much will come out.

On the topic of these lines... I need to replace my own, the ones underneath are rusted pretty bad. They don't leak yet, but I'd rather by ahead of the problem... I don't know where to source some new hard lines, I might have to get some fabricated.
Great, thank you very much, thank goodness we don’t have snow and salted roads here in South Africa, my undercarriage and all the lines are still great after 25 years, there’s only surface rust on the control arms where they’ve been scraped on crap roads...
I hope you come right with those lines, I see some 202 parts are going NLA, especially RHD specific parts.

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,848 Posts
Road salt... The reason cars older than 15 years here generally don't exist. It takes a lot of care to minimize the damage, and you're still not spared even if you don't drive during winter. A lot of that salt persists through spring. For those of us with older cars, it basically means we need to start making custom parts eventually, as the market for keeping old cars on the road simply isn't here. It seems to be less of a problem in the US, probably as a side effect of their much larger population. Luckily Canada isn't too far away so we can still import some parts :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts