Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
was 1996 MB C280, now 2007 MB E350
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'96 C280 Radio Head Wiring Diagram.

Note: existing MB stereo head connectors (male) can be used with the readily available VW wiring harness (female) so that you don't have to cut and splice original factory wiring (good to preserve in case you want to resale car with factory head).

Power & Amp
Ground Wire = Brown-big (MB) > Black (VW) > Black (aftmkt)
Illumination = Blue/Grey (MB) > Orange/White (VW) > Orange/White (aftmkt)
Switch Power = Red/Blue-big (MB) > Red (VW) > Red (aftmkt)
Constant Power = White/Green-big (MB) > Yellow (VW) > Yellow (aftmkt)
Amp Turn-on = Blue/White (MB) > Pink (VW) > Blue/White (aftmkt)
Antenna Power = Yellow/Black (MB) > White/Red (VW) > Blue (aftmkt)
Speed Adjust = Green/White (MB)

Speakers
Rear Right = Red (+) & Red/Brown (-)
Front Right = Yellow (+) & Yellow/Brown (-)
Rear Left = Black (+) & Black/Brown (-)
Front Left = Blue (+) & Blue/Brown (-)

Note: some aftermarket heads require the switch power(red) and constant power(yellow) wires to be switched when installing in a MB/VW vehicle. If your stereo head stays on after the ignition is turned off or has problems maintaining station preset memory then you need to switch the switch power(red) and constant power wires(yellow). Also, after switching you may need to adjust the fuse position on the aftermarket head unit from 'normal' to 'vw', if the option exists.
Note: aftermarket colors noted in third column of diagram are based on Clarion brand stereo heads, but should be somewhat universal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995 c280
18 Posts
95 c280 no sound

I picked up a 1995 c280, the radio turns on but no sound from either the radio or cassette. My first thought is the amp is shot. Any suggestions before I start spending money?

·
Registered
1995 c280
42 Posts
i also have a 95 c280 had for about 8 months with no radio ive found it, its most likely my amp but dont want to spend the 100$ if that doesnt fix it
when u turn ur radio on do u ever get any sound that fades out or is staticy or is there just no sound ever

·
Registered
1995 c280
18 Posts
c280 radio

The head comes on shows stations and functions but no sound. I can hear the cassette whirring inside when I put in a tape but again no sound. The local stereo shop said they don't have the right plug to test the amp. Thought about buying through ebay but afraid of getting burned. Last resort would be to replace the system.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
The head comes on shows stations and functions but no sound. I can hear the cassette whirring inside when I put in a tape but again no sound. The local stereo shop said they don't have the right plug to test the amp. Thought about buying through ebay but afraid of getting burned. Last resort would be to replace the system.
What kind of a stereo shop is this if they cannot test this amplifier, it isn't even fibre connected yet(?). Have you checked the fuse to the sound system amplifier (you most likely have one), the radio fuse seems fine?

·
Registered
1995 c280
18 Posts
checked fuses under hood in trunk and amp, I have not pulled the radio out yet. as stated the head unitis showing power
just came in from checking the amp harness with a 12 volt tester. got power in I think it was 4 slots. guess it is the amp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts