Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the Airbag/steering wheel from 95 E420 fit a 1986..Have a spare Burlwood/leather wheel & Airbag an dthinking on using in my 86 560sec...
Thanks

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Umm... Nope, it's hopeless-- and you'll just have to give it to me for my '90 560.

So, the real answer is yes, it will fit spot on, and I'd bet it would look and feel excellent. Lucky you-- I've been hoping to land a burl wheel for the past four years!

·
Registered
1987 SEC 560 43,000 miles. Origionally sold in Hong Kong.
141 Posts
I too am desperate to get a smaller, thicker, better looking steering wheel for my 87 SEC. Please can someone confirm that a W124 wheel airbag can be connected to the 126 electrics to activate it in an accodent.

tks

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,757 Posts
I assume you know the SEC has a smaller steering wheel than the sedan...
If I remember correctly, SEC = 39 cm, Sedan = 41 cm.
I actually went through the wrecking yard with a measuring tape....
The W201 sportline wheel might fit, pretty sure re W124 sportline.
Does anyone know whether the W124 CE coupe's sportline steering wheel is smaller then the coupe's?

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I managed to fit the 95 W124 Burlwood/Leather wheel and airbag to the 86 560sec. Seems to be all in order no SRS light, no codes stored, but I cannot confirm the SRS works properly. Perhaps someone else can chime in for that.But it does physically fit and connect up properly.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Well, I'm almost positive that the connection to the airbag (the wire) is the same as for the w126 and w124 cars. The signal is apparently just an electrical zap that triggers the airbag off. I don't see any reason to think that the electrical connection would have changed, as the w124 and w126 lines overlapped in their production, and Mercedes was pretty good at keeping good designs across various model lines, at least in the electrical department. Having no SRS light go on also would indicate that all systems are "go," although you're still talking about a 15+ year old airbag-- though the evidence is that these just don't "go bad".

I'd like to see a pic of the new installation...

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I know I have asked before so please excuse the repetition but does anyone know for sure what year/model this steering wheel was made for?

Hey coastline, any pictures of your upgraded wheel yet? Would love to take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
YouTube - Mercedes Benz Lenkrad Lederlenkrad Steering Wheel (DTM) W124 R129 W202 W210

Maybe this one? I like the updated look it gives. You are right Ross. Light console and the center coin tray/console wood has been changed.

The upper wood portion looks slightly different but the rest is nearly identical as far as I can tell.

Ian, the Lorinser wheel you have on your car is about the best looking of the tuners wheels that you can get. I have seen ones like yours with wood inserts top and bottom much like this one which makes it just a little bit more modern looking.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Oh yeah, the dome light looks more like one from a later S class like a W220. The coin tray has a burlwood cover, by the looks of it the type available on German ebay. Expensive. Lovely looking car though.

Yeah i like my wheel too, have been thinking about dyeing it cream though. This car is helping me decide..
I do tend to think Lorinser made the more elegant of the tuner stuff. I guess we are biased though, lol :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts