Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I bought this car in Germany and shipped to California then moved it in 2008 to my house in Washington.
I have forgotten much about the car its Almandine red with a black cloth interior with a pattern used by the racing division.
E200-European market only PMS-Motronic-Map sensor car
T60 garrett
2.3 slk motor with lightweight crankshaft & Cp forged pistons
Tial 38mm
Greddy type s blow off
Split second AIC
RC 44 lbs injectors X2
J Knock control
Aquamist
3inch mandrel stainless exhaust
daily 7psi 288rwhp (has done quite a bit more with more boost)
manual valve body trans
sport economy shift mode
3.27 LSD
traction control-cannot turn off would be much faster off the line with a traction control kit
C32 front brakes
AMG sl55 5 spoke wheels
Eibach springs
AMG sway bars& end links
Burlwood steering wheel & shift knob
Super clean-looks like a stock car except for the Slate grey AMG wheels and big silver AMG calipers.
Windscreen
new cabriolet top in 2004
s600 grill
AMG sport pedals
Factory sisal mats
this is one of two w124 cabriolets I own my other is a 1996 E36 AMG cabriolet also in almandine.
90k documented miles on chassis 8k on engine.
Has mainly been a weekend car entire 11 years or so I owned it. not cheap not expensive reasonable, not for everyone no collector value but a clean w124 cabriolet that is a pure joy to drive. The one true sports car I own a 1998 993 cabriolet widebody the W124 handles better, stops shorter and out accelerates my Porsche from 0-130 from there the 993 has better gearing and two more gears to say adios.

I was hoping you guys would chime in and let me know what you think its worth.
1982 Ferrari 400i Straman convertible
1984 500SEC Straman convertible
1986 560SEC Straman convertible
1995 E200 Cabriolet Turbo
1996 E36 AMG cabriolet
1998 993 Cabriolet
1999 ML 430 (5.5)

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 Turbo(Sold), 1995 e320 Cabriolet(Sold)
112 Posts
You spared no expense on this one!

Did you ever find that carbon fiber hardtop?

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure that car can't be registered for road use in the US till its 25 years old. UNLESS, it was federalized, however I'm pretty sure you cannot federalize a vehicle if a similar model is already sold here. Sure looks great though! Just didn't want everyone jumping on it without realizing that. I have friends with Land Rovers, and its the same thing. With the Defender, for example, the only ones you can import are 25 year and older, unless they were sold new in the US, which were a very small number. HOWEVER, many will title early 1990s models as parts then title as 1985 to circumvent the law, which is still illegal, albeit easy to get away with.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure that car can't be registered for road use in the US till its 25 years old. UNLESS, it was federalized, however I'm pretty sure you cannot federalize a vehicle if a similar model is already sold here. Sure looks great though! Just didn't want everyone jumping on it without realizing that. I have friends with Land Rovers, and its the same thing. With the Defender, for example, the only ones you can import are 25 year and older, unless they were sold new in the US, which were a very small number. HOWEVER, many will title early 1990s models as parts then title as 1985 to circumvent the law, which is still illegal, albeit easy to get away with.
Not sure what you are talking about and I doubt you know either.
This car is registered insured in the United States California & Washington for last 11 years, Has a California Bar label on the driver door The current generation BAR label.
I personally brought it back from Germany and went through all the legalities period.
I just did the same time 3 years ago when I brought my 96 E36 AMG W124 cabriolet. It takes money time and patience. MY 96 W124 also has a California Bar label on the door and is legal in all 50 states

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You spared no expense on this one!

Did you ever find that carbon fiber hardtop?
No I did however find a guy in Dortmund, Germany when I was picking up my E36 Cab that can make them but he wanted a minimum order of 5 , being that I only have 2 W124 cabs and would have cost $7900.00 US a piece not worth it unless I found 3 other guys willing to shell out.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
looks like some tacky aftermarket/AMG stuff but other than that a pretty nice car, always liked the Euro born ones.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
His provided specs show that he's not using cheap aftermarket crap. This looks like a high-quality build.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
His provided specs show that he's not using cheap aftermarket crap. This looks like a high-quality build.
it looks really well done, and I appreciate the unseen performance upgrades! There are a ton of mods that these cars seem to take well

....it's just things like side marker mirrors, newer model AMG wheels, and Mercedes star fender crests rub me the wrong way, it's just an issue of personal taste i suppose, i'm just old fashion :p

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well the fender crests come right off they are magnetic. They are not permanent in any way. I've never owned a car I kept stock or wanted stock.

Mainly, I start Law school in Fall 2011 so every car that does not have a warm heated space in Washington.Has to go I live right next to the Sound so I can't exactly leave them outside and my driveway if you can call it a driveway normally looks like this....

Been a Benz tech for 20 year started at 16, I'm 37 and headed to law school. So in the last 4 years I've sold about 15 of my cars not one has been stock or near stock. The w124 turbo is a pretty conservative build by my standards!!

Most of my cars go to Germany as they seem to love what I build, here guys just debate about it forever without ever coming to see it in the flesh touch it taste it drive it. It easy to analyze something you have no interest in. Every now and then I come back on the forums thinking it has changed but mainly you have two type of people
1 st Those that never do anything because they are too busy sitting in front the computer, always seem to be the same ones that tear down everything especially things that they have no interest in or can't afford.
2nd Those that really have a lot of experience and want to help others that really have no clue, these are the ones that normally say things like Go check the car out or hire A certified tech to go look at it before you guy or the price seems fair but they are more often that not ignored then people gripe.

"1995 Turbo Cabriolet" under w124 section nothing about this headline can be associated with a stock car. Mercedes never built any W124 Turbo Cabriolets anywhere.. and as I stated not for everyone and no collector value...Sorry about being long winded..

BTW..Car is Going to Germany just sold it for 19k, more than I wanted or taught it was worth.

Some of the stuff I sold recently all my cars.
1971 Mercedes 220d Pickup
1972 Mercedes 250C 18 inch AMG wheels/Getrag 5 speed (in house conversion)
1963 Pink Cadillac Fleetwood (not primrose but nasty pepto Bismal pink)
1967 Ford Mustang Convertible (91 5.0 fuel injected motor & Tremac 5 speed)
1967 BMW 2000cs (Blood Red interior,M42 engine)
1987 BMW L6 Turbo (745i Turbo motor 400RWHP)
1978 Mercedes 6.9 roadster (big AMG wheels, No top, built then wrecked then rebuilt)
1972 Mercedes 250 Cabriolet ( 2nd one I build sold first one in 2001 Based on a Baehr cabriolet kit i picked up in Germany in 2001, Was my wife driver till I got her the 993 Porsche)
1985 280 CE Cabriolet ( cabriolet built by me in 2006 off)
1959 190sl (slk 2.3 fuel injected engine/5 speed manual)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is Tacky aftermarket...I bought this 84 500sec Straman last month in Los Angeles so I can use as a commuter next 3-4 years at Law school. First order of business is to replace the tacky 20 inch aftermarket wheels with Tacky aftermarket AMG wheels....
don't want to muck up my other tacky aftermarket cars.

Ferrari 400i Straman
500sec Straman
560sec Straman
E36 AMG Cab
Porsche 993 Cab Widebody
ML 430 (5.5)

E200 Cabriolet Turbo--Sold Headed to Germany poor bastards they are getting a shit car ha ha!!

Attachments

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
This is Tacky aftermarket...I bought this 84 500sec Straman last month in Los Angeles so I can use as a commuter next 3-4 years at Law school. First order of business is to replace the tacky 20 inch aftermarket wheels with Tacky aftermarket AMG wheels....
don't want to muck up my other tacky aftermarket cars.

Ferrari 400i Straman
500sec Straman
560sec Straman
E36 AMG Cab
Porsche 993 Cab Widebody
ML 430 (5.5)

E200 Cabriolet Turbo--Sold Headed to Germany poor bastards they are getting a shit car ha ha!!
What many on forums don't understand is what pre merger AMG was...
Merely a "tuner" that would do whatever you want and could pay for.....

Can't tell you how many "Gold Kits" that Buxbaum installed on builds out of AMG Central ( Westmont ) in the 80"s...
All "ala carte" to the customers desires..
What was en vogue in the 80's may be deemed tacky now !!!

I always say..."AMG builds are like snow flakes, no two are identical " !!!

Today I believe if you can't find a rare pre merger AMG then you must build it...
Not one C124 WB available at any price..
I always wanted one from when Stratton built "1AMG"..
So I'm building a replica to the same or better standards that AMG used.
Believe me AMG sheetmetal work was horrific, just look at the back of the panel welds !!!

So good luck to Coastline..... his cab was far from what some call it...!!!

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,082 Posts
Check Komrade's post count. 'Nuff said.

I think the Cab looked awesome. The registration question was because in the original post, Coastline made it sound like the car was a Euro-spec shipped to USA from Germany without making it clear that it was either originally a US car, or that it was legally titled/registered in USA. Bummer that it's leaving the country, we don't have enough unique cars like that around here... but RBYCC's car is sure lookin' hot!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
What many on forums don't understand is what pre merger AMG was...
Merely a "tuner" that would do whatever you want and could pay for.....

Can't tell you how many "Gold Kits" that Buxbaum installed on builds out of AMG Central ( Westmont ) in the 80"s...
All "ala carte" to the customers desires..
What was en vogue in the 80's may be deemed tacky now !!!

I always say..."AMG builds are like snow flakes, no two are identical " !!!

Today I believe if you can't find a rare pre merger AMG then you must build it...
Not one C124 WB available at any price..
I always wanted one from when Stratton built "1AMG"..
So I'm building a replica to the same or better standards that AMG used.
Believe me AMG sheetmetal work was horrific, just look at the back of the panel welds !!!

So good luck to Coastline..... his cab was far from what some call it...!!!
that looks like a pretty cool project, I love the blacked-out (or whited-out) look, when I lived in California there was a W123 wagon where I worked with full AMG kit, wheels, etc all painted white, it was surprisingly beautiful, the owner told me he had trouble getting 10mpg though..

btw: Good news on the sale to Germany, seems like a good price

1 - 18 of 18 Posts