Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a proud owner of a '95 SL320 (just bought it yesterday) and I love the car, but the infrared key is driving me nuts. There is no visible way of attaching it to a keyring. Has anyone found a way around this? Is there an aftermarket product like a shroud that slips over the housing which will allow me to keep it with the rest of my keys? Or am I stuck with it as is? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
I own a 94 SL500, and had a duplicate key made by the dealer. The new key had a way of eas...

I own a 94 SL500, and had a duplicate key made by the dealer. The new key had a way of easily attaching it to a key ring.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought someone at the dealership would have a fix for this, but my service guy was li...

I thought someone at the dealership would have a fix for this, but my service guy was like "You're stuck with it." I'll visit the parts guy and eplore the option of having another key made. Many thanks!

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I'm a proud owner of a '95 SL320 (just bought it yesterday) and I love the car, but the infrared key is driving me nuts. There is no visible way of attaching it to a keyring. Has anyone found a way around this? Is there an aftermarket product like a shroud that slips over the housing which will allow me to keep it with the rest of my keys? Or am I stuck with it as is? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I'm curious... my 95 SL500 has loop at the back of the key to attach the key ring. I am looking at it now. I've had two of these keys that were the same since I bought the car in 1995. Are the SL320 keys different?

-s-

·
Registered
1995 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: '95 SL IR Key- No Way To Attach to a Keyring?

I'm curious... my 95 SL500 has loop at the back of the key to attach the key ring. I am looking at it now. I've had two of these keys that were the same since I bought the car in 1995. Are the SL320 keys different?

-s-
They must be different, because as you can see from the picture below, my key is basically a solid block of plastic with no loop. A friend of mine has a '96 E320 and his key has the loop yours does. But both of my IR keys are solid with nothing to hook a ring to. Strange, isn't it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...After visiting the parts department of my local dealership, I was able to order a...

Update...After visiting the parts department of my local dealership, I was able to order a replacement battery cover for the IR key. The replacement has a loop on it to enable a keyring to be attached. Cost was a little over five bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts