Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 95 s600 sedan that had some of the wiring issuse that most of them do. I have read on here for a few weeks and me a buddy rewired one of the throttle bodies, the other one had been replaced. after that it ran pretty good for about a month then i went to rewire the body harness because the mass air sensors had the bad wiring as well. well now the car runs like ass as far as i can tell all the harnesses have been replaced or rewired i had the codes read and clear and that is when it really started to run horriably it dies all the time and stays in limp mode. ANY HELP??????

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
There are TWO wiring harnesses: One is the engine harness, the other is the body harness. They originally came with soy-bean coated wires, which degrades quickly by becoming inflexible and natural car movements cause those wires to crack their coating, eventually flaking off.

The good news is the replacement harnesses do NOT have the soybean coating and will last as long as you own the car.

But you have the two. Most folks think only the engine harness needs replacement. But the harness that connects the various components in the car is the body harness and is about 2.5-times more expensive to replace than the engine harness.

Do NOT be tempted to try 'at home' repairs. It's too complicated and there's too much room for error. Bite the bullet and buy the harnesses and replace them if you see your harnesses have the flaking off of their coating.

That's the best advice. Trust someone who's been there.

·
Registered
1995 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
point takin here is what has been done to the car
one throttle body has been replaced one i rewired
the harness from the big plug on the PS of the engine bay to the injectors has been replaced (engine harness i assume) and the body harness(i assume) i just rewired it went from under the control box on the PS to both of the mass air sensors and a few grounds so as far as i can tell all soybean wiring is gone or is there more hidden
i have seen numerous people on here rebuild them i am a fairly good mechanic after i read up on the subject
but i am stumped here

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
The problem with rebuilding the harnesses is that the connectors are usually overlooked, but the wire obviously continues into the connectors. When you buy a new harness, you get new connectors, too.

Think about that concept and see if maybe in your rebuilding you overlooked something.

As for rebuilding components, you might want to try BBA-Reman, they do the rebuilds on most electric components (quite reasonably to boot) and get this: you get a lifetime warranty on their work!

WE all laud the capacity of DIYers to get involved, but there's a point at which working hard doesn't equate to working smart.

Know the limits you have. And accept them.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Your car has a nice DIY diagostic system. Building the code reader and learning how to use will help to cut down on guesswork.

·
Registered
1995 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the codes read and it had a ton one the mechanic said my cause it to act up was the neutral safty switch on the tranny
i did rewire all the connectors also
im thinkin one of the mass air sensors is bad you can grab the DS one and move it and the motor will idle up and down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts