Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post - I have a 1995 S500 W140 and it has developed front end creaking noises. It even does it when you go to get in or out of the car. I have replaced the shocks and lower control arm bushings. Any Ideas of exactly what the cause could be?

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Might check the sway bar end links. Get someone to push down on the car while you listen from down low.

·
Registered
1999 S420; 2007 S600
416 Posts
I replaced the rear shocks on my S420 before doing a more thorough check. Strangely, it looks like both of the bushing 'plates' that sandwich the rear subframe mounts up to the frame, beneath the rear doors, were bent, and the bent plate was rubbing against the subframe, metal-on-metal. It creaked and groaned a lot. It looks like if the rear subframe bushing is worn enough, that may have the potential to rub even if it's not bent or otherwise damaged.

Not saying that's your case, but it's worth checking - those bushings should keep the big washer separated from the aperture in the subframe that the bushing passes through.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Yup! With the car off, press down on the front fender (not the hood) and press down. If you get any sort of 'err-err' noise doing that, it is definitely the ball joints.

I'm sure that's what it is.

Let us know what the diagnosis finally is!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - It definitely is the front end. It does creak when you push down on the fenders with the car off - also when you get in and out and of course as you are driving.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Yes - It definitely is the front end. It does creak when you push down on the fenders with the car off - also when you get in and out and of course as you are driving.
get em on online about $40 for both lower sides. Mine did the same noise on both sides in the front.

·
Registered
286 Posts
double check your front springs

I had some creaking and until I put it on a lift i didnt know the two front springs were broken very near the bottom. (prolly the last coil or so).

I hope it aint that just wanted to throw it out to ya'......................:surrender:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No More Creaking Noises

I went ahead and replaced upper control arms with upper ball joints, lower ball joints, sway bar links and tie rod assemblys. No more noise. Thanks to all that helped me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts