Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i off i have searched for days sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

My 95 E320 wagon Auto trans is finally toast at 230k miles.
for the last year it has slipped in reverse, stacked shifts, and overall had poor shifting so i knew this day was coming
and finally as of 6/18 started it up and no reverse just jerks and barely moves in forward gear(have to floor the throttle)

after removing the pan there was tons of clutch material in the pan. i have serviced the fluid and filter at least 4 times in the last 150k miles of ownership and never had any debris / clutch material before. also after removing the valve body and inspecting it there was tons of built up clutch material and one spot where a hole had actually corroded through the seperator plate.

i would love to do a 5-speed swap but funds and availability are not in my favor at the moment.(i have yet to find donor parts and/or car locally in Oregon)

i have access to a low mileage(110k) used trans out of a 1991 300E at my local auto wreckers and i would like to know if this trans will for sure work in my car and if so is it a simple bolt in affair or will i have to modify things.

my car 95 E320 3.2L with 722.369
donor car 91 300E 3.0L with 722.358

i realize theses trans may have different shift points etc. and i have priced proper rebuilt auto trans and not sure I"m willing to invest that much into the vehicle

My question is will it bolt in and work with out to much extra work.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
You could probably get a quick & accurate response from your nearest M-B Dealership Parts Dept., with a simple telephone call.

That's what I'd do, they are usually very willing to help. And, they are well-trained with their research material (books).

Before you install a used transmission, be sure to change the filter & oil. Pretty easy when it's out of the car.

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
The transmission will bolt up without issue. You'll be miles ahead of the game by reading the r/r procedure in the FSM (factory service manual) which we have a link for in or DIY sticky. It is a one day job with a lift.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walt'89300CE:

I work for a Ford Dealership parts dept and i am more then willing to help people out, that said i have ran across many people who do not care unless they are selling you parts. and yes i plan to reseal the trans as well as the engine rear main seal and change trans fluid and filter all while im in there.

Jayare:

Thank you very much for confirming . i have the manual bookmarked in my browser and i have pulled a w124 trans before.

i was a Ford technician for years and an independent technician for many years before that before i transferred to parts dept.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly for the last 10 years it rarely started in first to begin with. I know it was supposed to. The kick down switch never worked either not sure if that would be related or not.

I just want to be able to drive it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
southcountycustoms
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing