Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know the OE plug the 104 engine came with on my 95 E320? NAPA says it is a Bosch Platinum plug. I would prefer to put a copper plug in compatible with this engine and pre gapped to the right specs. Is this engine picky with plug make? Meaning, use Bosch or it won't run right? I know some of my other cars are like that with NGK plugs but all engines are different. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know your findings. Thanks.

>>>UPDATE>>>>

I was able to locate the factory OE plug, NAPA is incorrect. It is the BOSCH F8DC4 copper plug. Only $1.58 per plug (that's what I'm talking about; sure beats $8 a plug for the overpriced overhyped platinums). Also, the Bosch 7927 is also an alternative with the Yttrium electrode (a Y). Has anyone used this plug instead and was there any improvement over the F8DC4 OE plug? Thanks.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
These are THE 3 choices for plugs

NGK - BP6EFS
Denso - T20EP-U
Bosch - F8DC4

All are pure copper core NON-Resistor plugs. Is your ingnition system picky? Yes it is. Stick with these choices so that your ingnition system stays to factory spec. Regarless of "pre-gaped" you should always check spark plug gaps before installing. Get yourself a feeler gauge.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are THE 3 choices for plugs

NGK - BP6EFS
Denso - T20EP-U
Bosch - F8DC4

All are pure copper core NON-Resistor plugs. Is your ingnition system picky? Yes it is. Stick with these choices so that your ingnition system stays to factory spec. Regarless of "pre-gaped" you should always check spark plug gaps before installing. Get yourself a feeler gauge.

Good Luck,

Jayare
Jayare, you're the man. Do you have any recommendation for spark plug wires? And which one of our sponsors sells them cheapest? Thanks.

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Don't know if it is any help to you mate, but the ones the MB guys put in mine had a little MB star on them.

MB Brand???

Regards, Inspector.

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
Jayare, I don't doubt you. But...
As far as the NGK plug goes, I thought the correct one is BP5EF
Can you (or someone else) confirm or clarify?
This is just something that I had in my notes, and I want to make sure that I have it correct.

Oh, and, the "MB Brand" ignition wires are Beru.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
Merc-

NGK BP6EFS are correct. The "S" indicates standard heat range. At one time, I mis-understood the correct number to be 5ES.

Soundquest. You will find pretty much all the parts you need from autohausaz.com, autopartsplace.com or go to the mercedesshop site. These places offer the best prices I've seen and offer excellent service and delivery. As for plugs wires, stay with what any of these sites offer.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
NGK has an awesome website, which I just checked out.
And they have this part number key: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf
Correct temperature range depends on driving conditions. So, I don't know that there is one correct plug. A cooler plug is more suitable to stop-and-go city driving, for example. NGK Spark Plugs USA
It's strange, though, when you use their part finder on the website neither combination that we've discussed comes up as a result. (it's all TR5-something)...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Merc-

Soundquest. You will find pretty much all the parts you need from autohausaz.com, autopartsplace.com or go to the mercedesshop site. These places offer the best prices I've seen and offer excellent service and delivery. As for plugs wires, stay with what any of these sites offer.

Good Luck,

Jayare
Yes, so far I have used autohausaz.com and they have incredible pricing. Napa charged $33 for the trans fluid filter + gasket, which is not bad, but autohausaz.com had it for $11 + $5. A hell of a deal, and no tax with free shipping after 50 buckaroos. I have not checked the other two but am sure they are competitive to autohausaz.com. BTW, I am in no way affiliated with autohausaz.com, just think it's great when you can save a substantial amount, especially in this economy and have it brought right to your door.

·
Registered
2000 E430 1990 300CE
310 Posts
NGK Plugs

I put in NGK copper plugs in my 88 300E. That was 15 K miles ago and they work great. The Bosch copper are hard to find.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Factory as well as many well versed MBZ techs will always recommend F8DC4 Coppers (Bosch Super) for all M103, 104, 117, 119 etc. Interestingly, most late models are coming with NGK Iridium as O.E.?? of course it does have the star symbol on it. MBZ is using more and more Japanese parts (Hitachi superchargers, Nippondenso A/C compressors, NGK plugs etc.) has to be cost related as Bosch, KKK, ZF and BERU are a superior product.

·
Registered
1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
684 Posts
Factory as well as many well versed MBZ techs will always recommend F8DC4 Coppers (Bosch Super) for all M103, 104, 117, 119 etc. Interestingly, most late models are coming with NGK Iridium as O.E.?? of course it does have the star symbol on it. MBZ is using more and more Japanese parts (Hitachi superchargers, Nippondenso A/C compressors, NGK plugs etc.) has to be cost related as Bosch, KKK, ZF and BERU are a superior product.
103? HOW?! F8DC4's are gasket seat and M103 is a iron head set up for tapered seats.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
103? HOW?! F8DC4's are gasket seat and M103 is a iron head set up for tapered seats.
M103 is an aluminum head actually. But your right about
the plugs, tapered seat and I believe H8DCO is the plug.

·
Registered
1977 230, 1990 300E 2.6
243 Posts
There is another plug option for our older engines requiring non-resistor plugs - Nology Silver. I have been running a set of these in my '90 300E 2.6 for several years. Performance is what you expect and electrode erosion is minimal. A little pricey but an excellent plug. Also use them in my '77 230 gasser.

·
Registered
1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
684 Posts
Just ordered the Denso T20EPU from RockAuto.

Now what to do with the Bosch's, after return shipping I'll only get like $4 back.

The specs match my Ford (Mazda) Probe, except for being non-resistor, it is turbocharged, would they be ok in it?

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
When I bought my car, it had Bosch Platinum +4 in it. It ran fine. I replaced them with Denso copper. I know copper plugs are highly recommended but honestly, I can't tell there are much difference.

·
Registered
1997 s320, 1994 E320 Cab, 1989 300ce (parting out soon)
525 Posts
i just did ngk's on a 103 engine.... it had platinums in it and ran fine.

just did bosch super plus in the 104 engine.

both (were) are running fine.

plugs just were old.... i think i was down one mpg in each car. that's not chump change any more

1 - 19 of 19 Posts