Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 E320 with 238,000+ miles on it. The other day I was driving home and I lost the gauges in the dash and had a faint buzzing sound in the dash. I pulled into a parking lot and turned the engine off to check to see if I had blown a fuse. NO fuses were blown but when I turned the key to start the car, nothing happened. Everything else (electrical) on the car appeared to be working. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No help-but I currently have what appears to be the same problem

You didn't report that the buzzing sound stopped when you turned on your turn signals, as mine does. Otherwise my 92 300 TET does the same thing. I'll let you know if I learn anything. I read one post who said he had the same problem and that it was a bad fuse or fuses in his fuse box? I'm checking, but I think I checked this first. Good luck. Please post if you find a solution.

Doc

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Same thing happened to me on a 94E320. I Checked the fuse and every thing seems ok. I searched the forum and found a common suggestion to replace the fuse. Reluctantly, I replaced all the fuse in the main fuse box. It worked!

I check the old fuse with a magnifying glass and found one with a hair line crack. I checked it with a multi-tester and it shows that the continuity is intermittent.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We found the #5 fuse blown. I visually checked the fuses on the day I had the problem and they all appeared good. Today there was a noticable break in the fuse. Car started right up. I still need to find out why the fuse blew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Edcarls and 92e350

I'll learn from your question and answer/solution and will try it out on my 92 350 TE. This weekend I'll just replace all the fuses and see what happens. I'm very hopeful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Doc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks 95 E320 and Edcarls Electrical Gremlin Fixed!!

Now that's worth the price of admission right there to keep involved with this forum. After having my 92 300 TE that was experiencing a buzzing and no instrument cluster intermittently taken to the local independent Euro shop and them being flummoxed entirely (saying sometimes you have to go to the dealer on electrical issues) I followed the advice of Edcarls who had experienced a similar issue in a different year and model.

Voila (sp?) or should it be wunderbar! it ze car she is fixed completely. I bought what is now a few years supply of fuses and began replacing fuses. On the second try I found one that visually looked fine, but had a hairline crack in it, only noticeable when I removed it and it then came apart.

Thanks very much for the question 95 E320 and thanks Edcarls for sharing your experience. This was a relatively anti-intuitional fix. I wouldn't have thought these fuses would vibrate or age into hairline cracks, and I wouldn't have thought just a dodgy fuse would cause these symptoms. Thanks again.

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts