Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing out the ignition switch in my 1995 E320 wagon and have run into some trouble after taking everything apart.

The ignition switch currently in my wagon has a plastic T-shaped piece in the center, but all of the replacement ignition switches I've found are missing that plastic T-shaped piece and only have a metal slot in the middle. Below are images of the difference I'm describing.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

What my ignition switch looks like:

What all the replacement ignition switches look like:

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
The tee-shaped plastic piece is an anti-theft feature. It prevents someone from unplugging the wiring harness connector from the switch unless the switch is in the run position.

That's the first I've heard of the situation with this replacement part but it doesn't surprise me. Not too many 124 thefts taking place since they're all quite old. Simplifying the switch makes it cheaper.

Seems like 124s are old enough that a lot of replacement parts aren't as good (or expensive) as the original part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The tee-shaped plastic piece is an anti-theft feature. It prevents someone from unplugging the wiring harness connector from the switch unless the switch is in the run position.

That's the first I've heard of the situation with this replacement part but it doesn't surprise me. Not too many 124 thefts taking place since they're all quite old. Simplifying the switch makes it cheaper.

Seems like 124s are old enough that a lot of replacement parts aren't as good (or expensive) as the original part.
Thanks for clearing this up! Now I can finally put my car back together, don't think 124s are a huge target for theft either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello
i just watched a video on mercedes suce man he was saying that the new original switches are missing that plastic thing . so dont worrry about it it wll work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts