Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 has been acting up when I come to a stop and try to accelerate right away, it sounds like it wants to slip before it engages. If I give it a second before I give it hard throttle it works fine and I also noticed that there are times when I get a little flaring between gears under moderate acceleration. I'm hoping it's just a bad filter or low fluid. When you check transmission fluid level I know you test it hot with the engine running, are you supposed to have it in gear with emergency brake on? I thought I had read something to that effect a while back. What does everyone use for tranny fluid, dextron? Any friendly advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks Cyberbach

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes you should check the tranny fluid when the car has been driven long enough to get it hot and once you've gone through the gears a few times and then check it while engine running. I certainly would not check the tranny level with the hood up and veh. in gear with the emergency brake on, it's not safe to do it this way.Yes you can use any good quality Dextron 3. You do not need the MB fluid due to your year.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There was a post recently saying to be really accurate you should check it in "D". I don't think anyone challenged it but indeed it was nonsense. You can't get more accurate than to do it by the owner's manual. You should check your owner's manual but my 94 124 owner's manual says "The transmission fluid level should only be checked with the engine idling, parking brake engaged and selector lever in position "P". The vehicle must be parked on level ground. Prior to the check, allow engine to idle for approx. 1 to 2 minutes."

It goes on to say you can check it at one of two temperatures - 80C or 30C, but without a thermometer you pretty much have to do it at 80C based on the temp. gauge and the 80C min/max marks on the dipstick.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The suggestion to check ATF in D may have been mine. All I can say is that it came from someone who used to own and run an autobox repair/rebuild shop, who found repeatedly that it was the only way to get a reliable read of the level. So, I can't regard it as nonsense, because I know that man to be sensible and competent, and it has worked for him. That said, following the car's manual is clearly the thing to do in the first instance.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I check all my transmission in D w/ the ebrake on. You want the torque converter to be full with the trans @ full operating temp.

I'd wager Mercedes would never say check the trans level w/ the car in D/ebrake on for liabity reasons alone.. I don't think I need to elaborate on that one!

The 30C measure has since been thrown out via a TSB released some years ago.

Drive your car for a good 10 miles @ the min...it takes a while to get that fluid up to temp!

Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts