Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
08 S550 99 ML320 95 C280 79 450SL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so i got a 1995 C280, and the strangest thing happened today. i go to start the car, and it does not start, it was rather surprising as i drove it all day, but at the same time, the weather outside has been rather hot (over 90 degrees), so i decided to open the hood, and let the engine cool down, so half an hour latter, i go to turn on the car, and it starts. Should i take it to a mechnic and have him look over the starter or anything? or should i just let it be?

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Crank Position Sensor

You just described the classic symptom of the Crank Position Sensor. If it does it again, follow your own lead and cool the motor down and off you go again. The prolem will become how far you get till it overheats and shuts down your motor. They act up when hot and when they cool down they start working again. This is a part that will leave you at the side of the road.:crybaby2: A CPS costs about $85.00 and are fairly easy to replace DIY. Many threads on this but there is one with photos that I started on 11-27-07 that covers it well. Many nice people on this site helped me out.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
08 S550 99 ML320 95 C280 79 450SL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i think you might be right, the same thing happened again today. Im going to replace it very soon!

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
CPS

CPS are available online for about $85.00. I think I bought mine from MB Parts Direct. Pretty sure AutohausAZ has them too for cheaper. It really pays to shop around.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

1 - 4 of 4 Posts