Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 C280. The check engine light is on. My code reader says it is a EGR flow malfuntion. Any ideas? If it is the EGR valve can anyone tell me where on the engine I could find it? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
The egr valve (standing at the front and looking at the engine), is on the left side, on top and looks like a little flying saucer. It's near the back.

It is rarely bad, but the pipe that runs to it fills up with carbon causing the CEL light to come on. If you replaced the EGR, the light would probably still come back on.

I'd take it to an Indy and ask them to test the EGR and clean the crossover egr pipe.

Regards

J

·
Registered
Mercedes C280
15 Posts
I also have a 95 C280 with the exact same problem. It is intermitant and usually only makes the check engine light come on after a very long drive. There is a very long waiting list at the dealership so I will most likely just take it to a professional german automobile speciality shop for the repair. In the mean time, just remove then reinsert fuse # 36 or 37 (cant remember which off the top of my head) to make the check engine light go away.

·
Registered
95 C280
5 Posts
had that problem... light came one and wouldn't go off... first I cleaned the tube, reset CEL, came on next day... then changed the changeover valve, reset CEL came on next day... then the egr valve and the vacuum line goint to it... CEL came on in a few hours... turns out the car needed a new wiring harness...the wiring on the plug going into the changeover valve that opens and closes the egr had completely decomposed... so before you do anything check the wiring....

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
Yup, degrading harness will cause all kinds of CELs before the true culprit is found. If you have the 93-95 MB you have to change the harness eventually anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts