Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 c220 200k on it. Runs well gas milage is still about 420 miles on a tank. Problem is when comming to a red light the car idle will surge and sometimes stalls. If I put it in nutral as I come to a stop wiat 3 seconds then I can drop it into drive it idles and runs smooth. It has the P0411 code but from I have read don't think this is the issue. It looks like all roads are leading back to the MAF. I dont want to put out the $280 for the MAF unless I have to. Any ideas?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
I suggest replace the MAF.. You can also get them used from Mercedes breakers. I paid about $80 for a replacement MAF for my S500 project.. It depends where you go and who you know..

But the symptoms you described does sound like a faulty MAF.. Why beat around the bush when you will end up having to replace it eventually to fix the problem..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the purge valve to make sure it is running. I had a similar problem on my 95 c220 removing and cleaning it cured the issues. Its located in front of the washer fluid tank. MOT is stamped on the plug. Search this site for the cleaning procedure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the MAF trigger the P0411 code ? I reset the obd2 system many times before cleaning the purge valve. Problems resolved and code P0411 has not returned. I understood P0411 is related to the EGR system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone seen the P0100 or P0110 codes before changing the MAF ? The most common code seems to be the P0411 related to the EGR system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 95 c220 200k on it. Runs well gas milage is still about 420 miles on a tank. Problem is when comming to a red light the car idle will surge and sometimes stalls. If I put it in nutral as I come to a stop wiat 3 seconds then I can drop it into drive it idles and runs smooth. It has the P0411 code but from I have read don't think this is the issue. It looks like all roads are leading back to the MAF. I dont want to put out the $280 for the MAF unless I have to. Any ideas?
You can buy insert instead of entire MAF and save another $20-30. I do not think you have to pay $280. You should able to find original part under $100. For my 1999 MB C230, I got it for $90 from Amazon. Make sure it is original. There are so many aftermarket parts out there. DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try CRC MAF Cleaner

I had the exact same problem...took out the MAF and sprayed it down with CRC MAF Cleaner (got it at Autozone for $7.50) and it seems to have solved the problem...only time will tell. But for $7.50 instead of $100.00 I thought it would be worth the chance. There are a number of DIY threads about doing this fix on here...you just need to unclip one end of the MAF and unscrew the hose clamp on the other end...pull it out and spray the heck out of the inside...concentrating on the hotwire...without touching it!!!!! Let it dry, put it back together and it should be better...you should change the air filter too...give it a try...it worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts