Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a daily driver 95 C220 for 2K and everything seemed on the up and up but i think i just got side tracked when looking at it and now i realize i never put it in reverse during the test drive. Anyway it's vibrating horribly in reverse. I was thinking mounts on the tranny or engine...but now im thinking tranny. anyone had this issue? It does have a slight vibration at low rpm in D as well (only notice it when cold or just turning on ac or turning wheel at idle. but even when i put a little gas on the vibration got worse in reverse.

If it the transmission this thing goes to the junkyard tomorrow. Id rather be out 2K than 3-4K

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
good chance it's the transmission..or differential,or flex discs. idk why you wouldsend it to the junker when you could get more selling it privately.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Don't panic yet Andy -almost certainly the engine mounts (usually go at around 100+ k miles) - first symptom is in reverse (esp out of a steep driveway) then they get worse in fwd gears and finally rattle momentarily when starting up. (as the engine swings around a lot)

If you drive in top gear and it comes in as you get to a higher speed, it is the mount allowing the increase in engine torque to compress the rubber (and lack of fluid) and metal to metal contact occurs

You could probably see if fluid has leaked out of the mounts by just removing the pan shield.(look for a dark streak on the mount - fluid will have gone a long time ago) --- mounts are about $70-80 each and reasonably easy to fix - if you want to be really mean, just replace the one that compresses when you rev it.

Did you sell the SLK?

Oberoi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts