Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone , I have replaced the rear transfer case after that the original one started to making wining noise above 50 mph. After the replacement the wining noise disappear but I have now vibration in the whole car above 50 - 75 mph. I have rotate the tires and also had them balanced and still having this vibration in the car . I didn't remove the driveshaft only pushed the shaft forward until stop, everything is bolted up the same way . My question is , could it be that something have happens with the driveshaft bearing who is located at the middle of the driveshaft?
Thanks
Zipkart

·
Registered
M113 SL500
498 Posts
By rear transfer case, I assume you're referring to the rear differential. The diff front mounting point has a bushing and sometimes some shims to get the diff/driveshaft alignment right. If it is off, you will get vibrations in exactly the speed range you describe. Of course, there also is the possibility that whoever reinstalled the diff screwed up elsewhere.

Regarding your direct question, sliding the rear forward to remove the diff would not damage the center support bearing.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will looking in to it when I have the chance to have my Benz up on a lift and checking out the details about the flex coupler and shims.

Zipkart

·
Registered
1996 SL 500
29 Posts
Thanks guys, I will looking in to it when I have the chance to have my Benz up on a lift and checking out the details about the flex coupler and shims.

Zipkart
Critical part is to mark the parts before disassembly and install by lining up the marks.

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,281 Posts
Unfortunate it is impossible to see the the center joint unless you drop the exhaust and remove the heat shields. BTW there is a nut to tighten on center joint, so if you could shorten and lengthen the shaft easily that could be an issue.

·
Registered
1996 SL 500
29 Posts
Unfortunate it is impossible to see the the center joint unless you drop the exhaust and remove the heat shields. BTW there is a nut to tighten on center joint, so if you could shorten and lengthen the shaft easily that could be an issue.
Sorry, (Canadian) i meant at the flex disks

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, (Canadian) i meant at the flex disks
Hi folks, here comes more update what I been doing about this weird problem. I have replaced the steering damper that I found out it was working like a bicycle pump and also both front shocks including all parts with the upper fastener that I found out the rubber had lots of cracks on both sides . Have also balance the front tires and alignment too, both front tires was off 1/2 of an oz. And still have this vibration in the car from 55 to 75 mph. Thursday I going to have the car up on a car lift and going to check the driveshaft , have found on a spare drive shaft a factory make on the front shaft and also on the shaft behind the bearing holder on the yoke two line marks . So now I going to check if this two line marks on both driveshafts lining up with each other . I also going to check for play in the yokes and the center bearing and see if I can find something who is not right. There is no cracks in this big rubber flex couplers. Keep looking .

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks, here comes more update what I been doing about this weird problem. I have replaced the steering damper that I found out it was working like a bicycle pump and also both front shocks including all parts with the upper fastener that I found out the rubber had lots of cracks on both sides . Have also balance the front tires and alignment too, both front tires was off 1/2 of an oz. And still have this vibration in the car from 55 to 75 mph. Thursday I going to have the car up on a car lift and going to check the driveshaft , have found on a spare drive shaft a factory make on the front shaft and also on the shaft behind the bearing holder on the yoke two line marks . So now I going to check if this two line marks on both driveshafts lining up with each other . I also going to check for play in the yokes and the center bearing and see if I can find something who is not right. There is no cracks in this big rubber flex couplers. Keep looking .

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz SL500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi folk, Was under the car and removed the whole drive shaft and found out that u-joints bearings is bad they jambs up when I was moving them from side to side so my friend toke hammer and tapped them all from the side . And the got loosing up little , but that means the whole U-joints section has to be replaced and the vibration stopped not for 100% . So there we go it was this darn U-joints who was making the vibration in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts