Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased and am awaiting arrival, of a 1994 SL500 for my wife - red with black interior of course! Living in Alaska, she has become comfortable with the seat heaters in her 91 Saab 900. This lovely California roadster does not have heated seats. I do have a universal kit that can be installed - I was going to do this on a 300CE we had. I have everything to do it but am looking at a center console (the wood bit) which has the appropriate holes already made. Can anyone tell me if the console for the 94 is different than that from a 96-2000? It seems from studying pictures, that the switches may be in different spots on the vertical section but other than that I cannot tell a difference.

I also want to say thank you for this forum. I am an old hand here on the Gwagen part of Benzworld but the R129 forum was a magnificent resource when researching the R129s. Yes, thanks to you all, I got a 94 which has the wiring harness already replaced and the roof hydraulics all checked out!

Thanks for your thoughts and I will post some pics when the car gets here. Hopefully it will be here in time for Christmas or the little matchbox replica will look pretty silly sitting in its spot in the garage next to the Gwagen!

Adam

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have purchased and am awaiting arrival, of a 1994 SL500 for my wife - red with black interior of course! Living in Alaska, she has become comfortable with the seat heaters in her 91 Saab 900. This lovely California roadster does not have heated seats. I do have a universal kit that can be installed - I was going to do this on a 300CE we had. I have everything to do it but am looking at a center console (the wood bit) which has the appropriate holes already made. Can anyone tell me if the console for the 94 is different than that from a 96-2000? It seems from studying pictures, that the switches may be in different spots on the vertical section but other than that I cannot tell a difference.

I also want to say thank you for this forum. I am an old hand here on the Gwagen part of Benzworld but the R129 forum was a magnificent resource when researching the R129s. Yes, thanks to you all, I got a 94 which has the wiring harness already replaced and the roof hydraulics all checked out!

Thanks for your thoughts and I will post some pics when the car gets here. Hopefully it will be here in time for Christmas or the little matchbox replica will look pretty silly sitting in its spot in the garage next to the Gwagen!

Adam
I think all are inter-changeable ,just depends on how many switches you have/need ,they may vary in colour when matching up the flip up lid under the radio :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is adding heated seats just a matter of the switches and console? I've heard in other brands (Saab) that all seats have the heaters installed and the price of the option is just for the controls. I have a 1993 300SL.

·
10,293 Posts
Yes you re right, Lexus is another brand that has the eliments in all cars, you just install the switches.

However, this is not the case with Merc, you need to plant the elements in the seats...

The task is not impossible, just time consuming... can only be done best and for reasonable price, if you have a complete donor vehicle, so you would get all of the parts you need.

My ultimate recommendation, if you do it, replace your seats leather while at it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts