Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94-SL320, 99-ML320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my '94 SL320 with 110K miles a few months ago.
Recently I noticed that the car shudders, (as if a couple of the cylinders are not firing,) when stopped at a light after driving at highway speed. What is interesting is that the problem goes away when I turn the engine off and restart.
The problem seems to have started after having disconnected the battery to diagnose an electrical problem.
Any help in fixing this problem will be appreciated.

SL&ML

·
Registered
SL320
2 Posts
Hi,
I was told that the ECU (stores) "remembers the way you drive". After disconnecting t...

Hi,
I was told that the ECU (stores) "remembers the way you drive". After disconnecting the battery you should start the car let it idle for some mins, then drive gentley throu all gears, braking softley also.
Stop the car (turn off), and do the same 2-3 times.
Then go out and drive in "sport mode" use the kick down etc.

The ECU should store these in memory.

I did read this somewhere, but can't think where. If I remember I'll let you know.

I have a SL320, and after disconnecting my battery the car was very sluggish. Not any more.......[:D]

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94-SL320, 99-ML320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dorian.
I will try what you suggested.
ML&SL...

Thanks Dorian.
ML&SL

·
Registered
94-SL320, 99-ML320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Thanks Dorian.I will try what you suggested.ML&SL...

Thanks Dorian.
ML&SL
The epilog on my problem.

I tried what Dorian had suggested but the problem persisted. So finally took the car for a tune-up/resetting the computer-learn feature.

At the end of the tune-up, the mechanic called to tell me that the problem had gotten worse and wont go away after turning the engine off.

The root cause was... the engine wiring harness insulation had deteriorated and was creating intermittent short and shunting off the ingition coils.

After replacing the harness (and approx.$600 for the harness and $300 labor later) the problem has gone away. The mechanic said that he has seen insulation problems with early 90's cars.

Thought I would share this w/ the readers.

SL&ML

1 - 4 of 4 Posts