Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 190D 94 S500 99 F350 Dually
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a squeaky rear strut on my 94 S500 for some time because i dont want to spend the $$$$$ just for a squeaky bushing but after removing the bottom portion of the strut i had an idea on how to quiet it and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. To me it appears it is a steel bushing wrapped with a layer of rubber that is sealed on both ends with a simple wire clamp and the strut bottom is aluminum. Now my idea is to drill thru the bottom portin of the strut to the bushing and tap a grease fitting on it. Im figuring the squeak is from the bushing rusting and rubbing thru the rubber lining and squeaking against the aluminum housing. The grease fitting would be accessible thru the bottom of suspension arm and possibly thru the drain in plastic cover on the bottom of the suspension arm. I figured one or two squirts of grease when changing oil and should do fine. Has anyone tried this or thinks this is a good idea?

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
I have 2 good one's for sale I would take $400 OBO

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
I have had a squeaky rear strut on my 94 S500 for some time because i dont want to spend the $$$$$ just for a squeaky bushing but after removing the bottom portion of the strut i had an idea on how to quiet it and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. To me it appears it is a steel bushing wrapped with a layer of rubber that is sealed on both ends with a simple wire clamp and the strut bottom is aluminum. Now my idea is to drill thru the bottom portin of the strut to the bushing and tap a grease fitting on it. Im figuring the squeak is from the bushing rusting and rubbing thru the rubber lining and squeaking against the aluminum housing. The grease fitting would be accessible thru the bottom of suspension arm and possibly thru the drain in plastic cover on the bottom of the suspension arm. I figured one or two squirts of grease when changing oil and should do fine. Has anyone tried this or thinks this is a good idea?
Yes, this topic has been discussed many times on this forum.

And yes, you can inject a lubricant to dismiss the annoying squeaking (are you sure it is not creaking?), but it won't last very long.

The rubber lining you refer to is not that at all--it's polyurethane.

The strut bushing is proprietary and there is no replacement for it period.

If however, yours is confirmed as a squeaking as opposed to a creaking,
then your idea may be a good one--very intuitive--go for it!

Best of luck!

--------
Edit: on second thought this is a innovative approach. However, I suggest that if you drill into the lower arm in order to place a grease fitting that you drill all the way into the bushing to the metal center. Then use white lithium grease that will work its way around the metal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You are correct, it is a creaking sound, not a squeaking one, but after alot of checking its definitely the bottom strut bushing and after researching on here I did realize they cannot be replaced. I was just wanted to ask to see if maybe someone had tried this idea before I attempted it. I dont know if it would be worth it if I had to lube every other day because the creaking comes back, but would certainly be worth it if it would make it 60 days or so when I change the oil. Guess I wont know unless I try it. If I do try it I will post how it works out and how long the bushing remains quiet. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You are correct, it is a creaking sound, not a squeaking one, but after alot of checking its definitely the bottom strut bushing and after researching on here I did realize they cannot be replaced. I was just wanted to ask to see if maybe someone had tried this idea before I attempted it. I dont know if it would be worth it if I had to lube every other day because the creaking comes back, but would certainly be worth it if it would make it 60 days or so when I change the oil. Guess I wont know unless I try it. If I do try it I will post how it works out and how long the bushing remains quiet. Thanks for the advice.
Go for it! Interesting experiment that has not been tried. The creaking is the result of the metal in the center of the bushing being oxidized and a general fatigue of the polyurethane bushing itself.

Again,though, drill all the way through the ankle of the strut to the metal within the bushing and then insert white lithium grease (through the grease fitting)which will find its way into the oxidized parts.

You may get rid of the annoying creaking, but eventually you will hear thuds as you go over uneven road surfaces, but you can live with that.

Good luck! Keep us informed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update- although i decided not to drill thru the bottom of the struts to lube the bottom bushing i did remove the bottom of the struts and inject grease into side of bushing using a needle adapter on the end of my grease gun. it has been over a month now and all is still well, no noise has returned. :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Update- although i decided not to drill thru the bottom of the struts to lube the bottom bushing i did remove the bottom of the struts and inject grease into side of bushing using a needle adapter on the end of my grease gun. it has been over a month now and all is still well, no noise has returned. :)
Good to see the update and that you have met with success. Many times forum members give advice and never hear from the recipient again.
Thanks again for the update and continue to keep us informed on this issue.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Great posts, great thread - much appreciated at this time by my 140!!!

Still, I'm going to do the full rear overhaul just as soon as $$$ permits.

In the interim however....

·
Registered
'95 S500 (sold), '97 E420
250 Posts
I had excellent luck, by pushing the guts out of the worn out heim ends, and installing
Bilstien replacement urethane shock bushings with steel insert. Available through Summit racing, for about $4 each. It's been over 400 miles now over all kinds of roads, with no problems at all.
I also have a pair of standard shocks for a non-SLS, with shot bushings, but the shocks and bump stops are good. I plan to use the replacements on those as well.

·
Registered
95 S500/93 350SD 130000/320000 miles
10 Posts
shock bushing

I checked Summit website.Which bushing did tou use?They have 2 different types?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on lube job to the bottom of my rear struts. I have driven this car almost daily 100+ miles a day since I lubed the bushings on the bottom of the rear struts and still no noise what so ever even half way thru the winter and cold and salt and still quiet. Will post again if I start hearing any sign of creaking again.

·
Registered
95 S500/93 350SD 130000/320000 miles
10 Posts
I followed blueroosters advice. Ordered the bushings from Summit.Pressed the old ones out,new ones in and 4000 miles later still no noise and no knocking. Cost me $12 and 1.5
hrs of work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mava, will probably replace the bushings when mine start creaking again. I'm surprised they haven't yet but at least they can be replaced now. were the old ones difficult to get out? New ones go in fairly easy?

·
Registered
95 S320 - Polar white; 95 S600 - Black Pearl
294 Posts
I had excellent luck, by pushing the guts out of the worn out heim ends, and installing
Bilstien replacement urethane shock bushings with steel insert. Available through Summit racing, for about $4 each. It's been over 400 miles now over all kinds of roads, with no problems at all.
I also have a pair of standard shocks for a non-SLS, with shot bushings, but the shocks and bump stops are good. I plan to use the replacements on those as well.
Bluerooster:

Selecting a bushing for a press fit requires some knowledge of the inner diameter of the strut opening to allow for a proper interference fit. How did you go about selecting the bushing from Summit Racing? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts